Infection after extraction

Hi guys, newbie.

How long after starting antibiotics will infection start to clear up?

I had a second molar extracted 7 days ago, it was a difficult extraction, it felt painful at the time and a loud cracking noise trying to get the tooth out, but it wasn't the tooth actually coming out as it took a further 10 mins from that noise most Possibly normal but it's my first extractionlol. From the moment i got home i was in pure agony, my face was swollen, i got a migraine with pains all down my neck and was nauseous. I've had horrible pains in my chin and jaw that don't go away and the swelling got worse, so i went back to the dentist 3 days ago, he said i have a secondary infection? And gave me a week of antibiotics and told me he's going on holiday so if it doesn't get better go to a&e?.

I'm not having much luck finding any info on infections after extractions, so unable to relax. Something really doesn't feel right in my jaw and chin, is that just infection pain? If my tooth was removed why is it so sore there?

Thanks so much if any one can help me relax a bit about it. I've just had two surgerys on my lower spine within a month because of infection and now this gahh!!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Very unlikely to get infections after extractions, unless you were already badly infected. The mouth usually heals up nicely despite the damage we have to do.

Vote:
Very unlikely to get infections after extractions, unless you were already badly infected. The mouth usually heals up nicely despite the damage we have to do.

See that's the thing, it wasn't infected too badly i don't think, i was originally due to have root canal on it but i asked for extraction thinking it would be quicker and easier whilst I'm recovering from surgery but now i know lol

Vote:

Ask a Question