Infected Tooth

Hello, this is my first time using this website. I've been searching around for answers, but decided it's best to ask for my own situation.
I'm almost 17 years old, and I've been having some trouble lately.
About three weeks ago, I went to the dentist for wisdom teeth pain on my right side. They did x-rays, and said I needed to get all 4 out. They made me an appointment for July, but I called and got put on the cancellation list to see if I could get in earlier. So they were able to get me in a week after that.
It's been two weeks and one day since I had my surgery to remove them. Last Wednesday, one week ago today, I started having some pain in my top right teeth because they were shifting (I was unable to wear my retainer due to the blood clots)
Thursday night I only slept 30 minutes due to pain, I was sobbing and screaming from pain. Friday, I went to my dentist and they x-rayed my tooth and told me I had an abscessed tooth, and I'd need a root canal (scheduled for March) because It's a front tooth. I got antibiotics and ibuprofen for pain. On Saturday, I was almost unable to eat from pain. Saturday night, I felt a huge burst of pain, and my mom told me I started clawing at my face, screaming. This was hands down the worst pain I've ever felt (Over appendicitis). My mom called my dentist and they said the "pop" was the infection breaking up.
Since then, the pain has been down to a minimal, but my teeth have been really sensitive. If my top and bottom teeth hit, it starts hurting, and the sensitivity is unbearable.
I also got a sore throat and a few small white blisters on my right tonsil (the same side of my infected tooth)
I guess I'm just trying to ask if this is normal to be so sensitive? (The teeth around it are sensitive too)
Is there anything I can do for pain? And could my sore throat be related? (I thought since I'm already on antibiotics, they should clear up my throat too?)

Thank you for taking the time to read/help me out. -Meg

Last edited:
Salt water works wonders. Gargle with warm salt water 1-2x a day or as needed for pain. Antibiotics only works on a subset of bacterial infections, it never works for viral infections. Further, antibiotics don't penetrate certain areas well. Use salt water.

Complete your antibiotics prescription, do not skip doses or stop early.

Sorry your wisdom teeth were taken out. Hopefully it really was medically necessary on all four of them...

Consider going to an endodontist for the root canal- higher rate of success and it's always good to get a second quote (expect ~$25 for the consultation).

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question