Implants

My new dentist recommended that I have 4 dental implants inserted plus extensive other work. He asked me also if I grind my teeth. I think he was remarking on this because of the wear and tear he saw on my teeth. I have been asked the same question many years ago when I was in my early 30's. I am now 58 years old. I have read that teeth grinders are not good candidates for implants. Any one have any thoughts. (I may have posted this already. I am new to the site and am still figuring it out.)

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There's a lot to consider, and you haven't given me much info to work with. An OPG X-ray would be a good start. At 58, some wear and tear is to be expected, but whether it is of concern or not depends on how many teeth you have remaining, and how bad is the damage. If you partner doesn't complain of you grinding your teeth at night, then you're prob not a grinder. For true grinders, most crowns (including implant-supported crowns) can be at risk of fracturing. The best crowns for grinders are probably a gold alloy. Implants do not work the same as real teeth. Real teeth have a periodontal ligament - when you squeeze hard, you can feel your teeth will "give" a little. Implants have no "give", and the crowns are constructed to touch only at maximum pressure (if mixed with real teeth).

Vote:

Ask a Question