Implant vs. denture

Are there any consequences I should be aware of with not getting an implant?

Some background: I had my second molar removed a couple years back and my dentist told me I was too young to get a an implant at the time. Until recently, I simply left the space unattended and my third molar has shifted into that space slightly (very minor, like 10 degrees). Now I wear a removable denture to fill up that space.

Current age: 21

Wisdom teeth extracted, brush and floss regularly.

Well firstly we need to look at which 2nd molar.

If it is an upper, then we need to look out for the maxillary sinus, and the schneiderian membrane when putting an implant in.
With the lower, not too many problems because the cortical bone is a lot thicker than the upper maxilla.

Another thing to note, boys 'stop' growing at around 18-21, depending on a lot of factors (nutrition, diet, medications etc.). So if the bone is continuously remodelling, then implants can act differently when compared to a mouth that is stable. (wasn't sure of your gender)

I hope this help, look into anatomy and implants a bit more. This is just my general understanding of things.

Source: dental student.

GL!

Vote:

Ask a Question