Implant from a previous dentist came loose; had it cemented; came loose again, finally unscrewed after 4 years

Who is responsible?

My husband had a very good dentist who did an implant for a molar. They didn't want to cement it permanently for fear that if there was
a problem, he would be able to remove the crown easily and that would not have to crack the crown.

Now, we are going to another question because the previous dentist decided not to take our insurance. So we found another very qualified dentist.
Well after two times the crown came out and again got cemented in; and finally the crown came out with the abutment (screw) attached.

We have an appointment to go to the first dentist since he was the one that did the implant. It seemed that the crown and the abutmant seemed
just fine, but I don't believe they are supposed to be attached together; I think the abutment should still be in the implant. But it look like there was no real damage.

What should our expectations be and should the first dentist be responsible for at least 5 years for the implant? And can a crown with an attached
attachment be screwed into the place where it came from? My husband said the screw, screwed in a little, but he was afraid to do anything further for fear of damaging what can off.

Karen

Attachments

• molar crown with abutment and screw.pdf.jpg
    molar crown with abutment and screw.pdf.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 62
Went back to the original dentist who said he didn't do that implant (maybe it was the endodontist that did the implant).
Anyway, the original dentist that we had (a great dentist) fixed my husband's implant by drilling into the crown and screwing
the implant in (he needed a special screwdriver to get it completely (100%) in - almost 100% but not. But it worked and he charged my husband $250.00. Which we thought was fair. He said if we can find the dentist that originally did the implant and find out the name
of the screwdriver, he would be able to screw it in 100%. Fair enough.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There are different brands of implant systems with their individual parts. Usually dentists that do a lot of implants can recognize major brands unless the parts are not widely used.

Vote:

Ask a Question