Implant failed. Removed and had another bone graft.

Long story short, my implant on my #8 failed after only 4 years and so it was removed last Wednesday.

I asked the oral surgeon when I arrived that morning if he'd be waiting to do the bone graft until the infection (which was discovered over 1 month ago) was completely cleared up. He said he would see how it looked and should be able to do the graft that day if it wasn't looking too bad.

After numbing me up and opening up the area, he said it "looked alright, just a bit irritated" and so proceeded with the bone graft. There'd been a lot of bone loss so he had to put a lot of the graft in there. After being sewed up, he sent me off with my prescriptions, one of which was my second course of amoxicillin for the month.

It's been nearly 6 days. Most of the swelling has gone down but there is some throbbing going on. I originally had throbbing and pressure similar to this 4 weeks ago when I first discovered something was wrong with the implant and the dentist found that it was slightly infected.
I'm concerned about there still being infection up in there. Anyone here know if it's typical to have throbbing after a bone graft? Is this just the area healing and the graft integrating? I have a follow up appointment for Wednesday but am having anxiety over this at the moment and hoping to find out if throbbing and mild on/off pain is typical.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

Ask a Question