Immediate root canal despite responding to thermal sensitivity test?

I had an iceskating accident in November last year and fell on my upper front teeth. Fortunately, they didn‘t break off and seemed fine from the outside. They did wiggle a bit and I had a brace for a month.

The following months I had regular check ups including x-rays and sensitivity tests with cold q-tips to which my injured teeth always responded albeit with a delay of a few seconds.

Only in the last x-ray done in late March the dentist was able to spot a slight shadow/infection in the root tips of both teeth and immediately recommended a root canal.
Album of x-rays

I don‘t doubt that a root canal will probably be necessary but I am a bit sceptical to do it right away since the teeth still respond to the thermal tests.

My question is: is it okay to wait a month or so to make sure the teeth won‘t get better by themselves and don’t respond to testing anymore or should I take immediate action?

Thanks in advance!
Penrutet

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Does the tooth feel cold? A slight shadow on x-ray does not confirm the need for a root canal. Usually multiple tests such as palpation, percussion, cold test, mobility, gum probings are needed to confirm. A Q-tip does not give an accurate result because it doesn't hold enough cold. The dentist needs to use a small cotton ball to test cold response. I will never do a root canal if I get vague readings.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If the teeth are mine, I would give it a chance for vascular repair and avoid anything too cold to minimize pulpal inflammation. I got hit with a hockey stick when I was 8 and I still see the middle horizontal fracture line on my upper front central incisor (#8). It still responds to cold WNL and I'm 49. The younger the tooth, the more likely for vascular repair due to the larger root canal space and apices.

Vote:

Ask a Question