Im in the UK and I think I’ve been overcharged, just looking for advice?

So six weeks ago yesterday I went to the dentist with agonising tooth ache in a broken lower left wisdom tooth. They were very cold toward me and told me there was nothing they could do and told me they’d send a referral to he hospital for extraction as it was quite a difficult one. They sent me on my way with zero advice, antibiotics or painkillers other than “if you don’t hear from the hospital in six weeks, let us know”.

I was due to be charged the regular check up price but the woman said because of the referral it was actually £59.10. As you can imagine I was fuming that I turned up in agony and was given nothing for the pain and told to wait six weeks and expected to pay close to £60 for the privellige. But I paid it anyway because I was there and I couldn’t exactly run.

Anyhow I’ve paid the money but now it’s crossed the six week mark. I have no intention of going back to such a bad dentist and I don’t wanna be told to wait another six weeks. I’d rather just get my money back and go to a better dentist. They’re closed today but I just wondered if anyone here thinks I have a shot at getting the refund?

Last edited:
So six weeks ago yesterday I went to the dentist with agonising tooth ache in a broken lower left wisdom tooth. They were very cold toward me and told me there was nothing they could do and told me they’d send a referral to he hospital for extraction as it was quite a difficult one. They sent me on my way with zero advice, antibiotics or painkillers other than “if you don’t hear from the hospital in six weeks, let us know”.

I was due to be charged the regular check up price but the woman said because of the referral it was actually £59.10. As you can imagine I was fuming that I turned up in agony and was given nothing for the pain and told to wait six weeks and expected to pay close to £60 for the privellige. But I paid it anyway because I was there and I couldn’t exactly run.

Anyhow I’ve paid the money but now it’s crossed the six week mark. I have no intention of going back to such a bad dentist and I don’t wanna be told to wait another six weeks. I’d rather just get my money back and go to a better dentist. They’re closed today but I just wondered if anyone here thinks I have a shot at getting the refund?
Sorry about your troubles with your tooth etc. and unhelpful reception. I would try and get a refund based on facts you have outlined. You could approach Which Consumer in the UK magazine with a bid to get your money back. They handle all kinds of consumer complaints or point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately in the US, troubles with dentists are much worse. Here they charge you over $150 just to refer you. Try to find dentists your friends and family trust.

Vote:

Ask a Question