identifying a sensitive tooth

Solutions
I had a check up and mentioned have a sensitive tooth (lower molar). There are two teeth and one of them is causing pain when something cold touches it although I'm not too sure which tooth it is. I suggested to my dentist that it could be the molar with the existing white filling and he suggested that he replaces it completely at a cost of over £150 (I am a private patient). I don't know why I didn't ask while I was at the surgery (probably because I felt rushed with them wearing the PPE and the current situation) but I assumed that the dentist would spray cold air/water on the tooth to correctly identify the problem tooth.
My question is this...Does this not happen anymore as I came away a bit surprised that he just wants to replace the white filling on my say so?
Thanks

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It is never a good idea to replace a filling if there is no real indication to do so. Any unnecessary drilling on a tooth could lead to possible nerve damage. I would rather let the dentist, take a radio-graph to evaluate the tooth as well as the teeth next to it. Cold sensitivity could mean a range of possible causes. It is also possible that the gum has receded a little bit on teeth in that specific area, leading to some exposed dentin and this could lead to the sensitivity.
I would suggest that you request a proper examination of the area, before agreeing to do a new filling

Vote:

Ask a Question