I was chewed out by my dentist's office for cancelling an appointment

I am a new member and I need to see if anyone has experienced what I have and some suggestions on how to handle this. Today ( Monday) I called my dentist's office because I needed to cancel an appointment I had for Wednesday to extract 2 teeth that are broken. I had to cancel since we are a one income family and my car decided to completely break down on us this weekend and we have to buy a new used car. In our budget, we just don't have the money to spend thousands of dollars on the implants I need and also get a car. I thought I had a good relationship with my dentist and his staff as my whole family has gone to them for a couple of years now and we have never had issues with them. Anyway, when I called first thing this morning and cancelled my appointment, I was thoroughly chewed out by the staff member who answered the phone and was chastised for having to cancel my appointment to get this work done on several other occasions. I was absolutely shocked and appalled as I have a severe medical condition that they are fully aware of and I have had to cancel appointments before because I was having surgeries and had my medical condition flare up. I know that their behavior is completely unprofessional and I understand if they are frustrated because I have had to cancel my appointments to get the work done, but I have always cancelled several days to weeks in advance when I have had an issue arise and think that the way they handled it is completely uncalled for. I forgot to mention that back in December I had taken in my son for an appointment and at the time I was very sick with the flu and they saw me suffering. I had an appointment set for later that same week and had talked to the receptionist about cancelling it. She told me to wait until the day before to see if maybe I would get better. When I came home, there was a nasty email from the dentist saying that they know I am sick and have other medical conditions, but they need to know immediately if I can make my appointment. I called back and cancelled and felt embarrassed to get such a nasty email. Now this happens. I really don't want to go back because of the way I was treated and I want to find a different dentist. I guess what I am asking is if anyone else has had this type of thing happen to them and is this something to report them on. I am feeling utterly humiliated and shocked and any advice would be highly appreciated.

Ask a Question