I was advised my implant may fall out

I had a sinus lift and an implant placed in the upper jaw.
Two weeks later my oral surgeon advised that my implant may fall out, as it came apart from the gum.
He said that if this happens, the implant may be replaced (and that the good thing is that at least the sinus lift is already done)

I was just wondering, does it mean there is no hope it may still fuse with the gum?
What could be the reason it happened?
Why would this implant need to be replaced with a new implant? Can't the same one be put back?
I am worried that if it failed, maybe it means it may fail again?

I would be grateful for advice, please.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Only your surgeon would know whether success will happen 2nd time.
Yes, they have to use a totally new implant because the surface is specially prepared.

Vote:
Thank you MattKW, I was just wondering, is there a chance that the gum will fuse with the current implant? of if it hasn't done so after two weeks, then no chance?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thank you MattKW, I was just wondering, is there a chance that the gum will fuse with the current implant? of if it hasn't done so after two weeks, then no chance?
If it is indeed not fusing, then the bacteria will penetrate down the side, and the implant will fail. If it is failing, it is best to get it removed ASAP so that no more bone is lost. See your surgeon.

Vote:

Ask a Question