I think I have developed an allergy to the filling material my dentist uses.

I needed repair work done to some crowns close to the gum line. [ along the pallet/roof of my mouth, and after a few days, the gum has become very irritated. [ sore, burning, and sensitive]
I noticed the same reaction when he placed a temp crown while I waited for the finished crown to get done. When that crown was placed, by THE NEXT DAY the skin on the inside of my mouth that was in contact with the temp was almost 100% better.

Those crowns are less than two years old, and I can't afford new at this point.

Anyone have this issue?

My dentist of 30+ years doesn't offer an alternative to this material he is using.

Is there one, [ it has to adhere, as a part of it came out, he said due to not being able to get the area dry enough before putting it in]

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

Although rare, certain patients has shown to be allergic to the crown cement that has been used. Sometimes even the temporary cement underneath temporary crowns. Especially if they contain Eugenol.
I would suggest a new dentist if your regular dentists doesn't have alternative materials and won't at least try and accommodate you. There are a lot of modern crown cements to use. To determine the exact type of allergy, specific allergen testing should be done.
That being said, it is is possible that the gum was also just irritated by irregular margins on the temporary crown and then when this was replaced with the smooth margins of the permanent crown, the irritant was removed and everything returned to normal.
If you have no symptoms anymore, I would mention this reaction the next time any crown work is done.

Vote:
Well, there wasn't a problem with the permanent crown, once it replaced the temporary, NO irritation, so I believe it is the material used in the temporary.
Now, the material my dentist used to fill the hole he drilled in my permanent crown is bothering my mouth just like that "temp" crown.
There has to be a correlation between those two materials. This is my issue.
Never had this problem before, and I'm wondering if there are more choices for other types of resin [?] materials.
He passed a message through his secretary that the temp crown material is different than the material he just used for the filling.
So I am at a loss.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sometimes damage to the gums during crown preparation because we have to push them aside with a retraction cord. Could also be the metal alloy used in the crown if it's a porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) - non-precious or semi-precious react with some people; always best to use precious in PFMs. Another remote possibility is that it's set off a palatal herpes outbreak.

Vote:
I would get the data safety sheet for the materials the dentist used and have an allergist test me for those chemicals in a scratch test
Maybe you have an allergy to one particular ingredient. I once had a reaction to a crown, it turned out I have an allergy to palladium.
Plus I think I react to the Eugenol. I know its 2021 now, but this is in case you have not solved the problem, or for those with similar problems.

Vote:

Ask a Question