I think he messed up!

Went to dentist for re-treatment of root canal on tooth #30 done many, many years ago. 3 days after procedure, I wake up with a swollen jaw. I go back to the dentist that day he x-rays my mouth notices #29 tooth is infected, although he didn't see it it 3 days earlier. He then performed a root canal on #29 that same day. Today I went in and he performed an I&D (Incision and Drainage) on my jaw. It hurt like crazy! Could the swollen jaw be from the re-treatment of #30? The infection from #30 was not drained properly or given time to drain before he sealed me which led to the pus formulating in my jaw. Have any idea what is causing the swollen jaw?

It id hard to say what happened. It is possible that the re-treatment on the 3.0 caused the infection and swollen jaw. Usually, in cases of re-treat it is recommended that the tooth is permanently sealed in the same session of the opening. But that would not prevent the infection. The infection is because some infected material from inside the tooth was pushed down to the root tip surrounding tissues. It is not so uncommon to happen though.
It could also have happened that the infection resultant form the re-treatment on the 3.0 caused the 2.9 to need root canal as well.
Only thing to do is to go back to the dental office. He will prescribe you some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory and drain the infection.

Best of luck!
Bert

Vote:

Ask a Question