I moved my own teeth

I won’t get into why I did any of this yet, but I cut my top retainer with scissors; so that they only fit up to my canines. Then I sanded the retainer down on the top (with sand paper) so that only half of the retainer was left from top to bottom. I then wore that retainer along with a fully intact bottom retainer and clenched a lot. My upper teeth moved up into my gums and i now have a speech impediment or something. I can’t talk the same at all.

Solutions
Your speech will adjust but you should go and see an orthodontist to get a new retainer made. Maybe if you post a photo one of the dentists can advise you on the outcome.

Vote:
I am wondering if braces could help move my teeth back to a normal position. From what i remember, braces can move teeth sideways or forward/backwards. But can they move them downward? Out of the gums? My teeth look even straighter now than they used to (after incident). They look perfect, which is why it’s hard to get people to understand what happened. I can still talk. Just not the same. My front teeth also hit or (make impact while i talk). I have yet to see anyone about this with the struggles of life and lack of insurance etc. I’m now in AIT for the Army and am trying to plan things out now that I have insurance and some money giving me the ability to hopefully do something to fix this. I’m embarrassed to admit that i joined the army for this reason only. After losing plenty of jobs and losing lots of confidence i needed a last resort. I’m still myself. Just can’t talk the way i used to and I feel it when I smile/eat/clear my throat/swallow... everything.

Vote:
Im the first and third picture i am biting with my front upper and lower teeth only. I am biting all the way down in the second picture. When i bite down with my front teeth i feel lots of pressure and does cause pain sometimes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 345
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 404
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 365

Vote:
Solutions
You'd probably need to post an xray if you want one of the dentists to comment. Your teeth look good but your smile looks very tense in the pics. It's as though you are very uncomfortable with what's happened. I'm sure if you go to a dentist they could give you a new retainer that's longer than your current teeth. This may encourage them to erupt back.

So why did you do this?

Vote:
I just wanted the retainer to feel more like an older one i had which had thinner plastic. It’s very complicated. I didn’t realize what I was doing. It’s been a couple of years now and my last resort was to join the military. I’ve struggled with depression for awhile now. I stay fit and eat as healthy as possible to avoid feeling depressed. I feel completely hopeless at times. Nobody who I know understands or really believes what I try to explain to them. They laugh it off and always say the same exact thing. You’re teeth look fine. I just want to be able to talk like normal again. It’s not really about looks anymore. I want to fix this. I feel like i’m getting so much closer. I lost everything. My job my car repossessed. All my friends and my family. If i could just get some help and a spark of hope i know that i could start to fix my life.

Vote:
I became obsessed after i lost the retainer i had before all this. It was a thin plastic essix retainer. It was old and the part of the retainer that covered my molars had become cracked and eventually snapped off. I had used this retainer this way for years and it worked fine. When i lost it i went to my orthodontist a few months later (so my teeth shifted quite a bit) and he made me some free retainers with a much thicker plastic. These are the retainers i tampered with. Well the top one anyway

Vote:

Ask a Question