I Asked My Dentist for Copies of my X-Rays and this is What He Gave Me

Solutions
When I requested dental x-rays in the past I would receive individual x-rays of each tooth that I could take to another dentist. Recently, when I requested my dental x-rays the dentist sent me the following. What is the standard of care these days when giving x-rays to patients?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Maguire 2-14-2020 PAs.JPG
    Maguire 2-14-2020 PAs.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Maguire 2-14-2020.JPG
    Maguire 2-14-2020.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 35

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

We don't take peri-apical x-rays of each individual tooth if not indicated. Ethically each dentist should follow the ALARA principle when it comes to taking x-rays. This stands for " as low as reasonably acceptable " in terms of radiation exposure. This means that we only take x-rays when there is a clear indication or need for it. Your dentist sent you copies of the x-rays he felt he needed to take.
In some cases these days, your dental insurance also only pays for a certain amount of x-rays, which limits the amount the dentist takes.

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks for the helpful reply. When looking at the x-rays he sent some only show partial teeth and some don't show the gum line.
Would these x-rays be helpful to another dentist?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes they would. These " bite-wing x-rays " are used to evaluate cavities or fillings in-between teeth and not the teeth roots.

Vote:

Ask a Question