Huge fear, appointment booked, help.

Hi, I found these forums whilst looking for something to help me feel a little less anxious, as a child I was always scared of going to the dentist, my parents never really addressed these fears and would instead drag me to my 6 monthly appointment. When I was younger I didn't really understand good oral hygiene
requirements and was scared to even brush my teeth, massive phobia of anything in my mouth even the toothbrush ect. Since being a teenager 14 onwards I have maintained good oral hygeine, flossing and burnishing 3 times a day, I last saw the dentist 8 years ago when I was 18 and had no problems, since moving out of my parents house and not being forced to go the fear has grown and grown, my partner has convinced me to book an appointment with a dentist who is a friend of his family and it safe to say I am petrified, can anyone offer and support or advise? I'm so scared of walking into the waiting room, into the room, sitting on the chair, lying back and opening my mouth, all these things are a 10/10 fear level not to mention if I need anything doing. I have no pain and not have I ever had pain in teeth or gums ect but it petrified I may need wisdom to be removed, I'm 25 and two of them are only half out. I'm also concerned about the small chips at the bottom of the front teeth, does this mean I have weak teeth? Will something need doing. I've attached a picture of my smile, do they look drastically bad to you?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 415
I don't see why you should worry before seeing the dentist. It doesn't seem you need an extraction or so ;) just relax, and think that if you wait too long to see the dentist it will be worse in the future. My only tip is don't think too much about it...

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Fear of the dentist is very common. Sometimes it is comforting to know you are not alone and dentists are very used to it. You need to make sure your next experience is a very good one and consider finding a dentist who has a special interest in working with especially fearful people. These dentist can make you an appointment to just come in and sit in the reception area or tour the office without doing anything at all. The next appointment is for you to come and sit in the chair and read a magazine for 10 minutes and leave without doing anything. It may take several more appointments before he/she can just look in your mouth. It takes a special kind of dentist to do something like that, but building trust with such a dentist could change you life. At the very least, I would call a prospective dentist to talk to him on the phone and discuss how you are feeling. If he brushes you off or doesn't have time to even chat on the phone, there is a small chance he will be much more patient when you come in.

There are also medications to help reduce your anxiety which can be very helpful. I wish I could tell you your teeth are fine, but without x-rays and a much better look at the inside of your mouth, the only thing that can be said is that they look fine from a distance.
Hope that helps.

Vote:

Ask a Question