How Would A Tooth Be Taken Out Question

Hi Al!

I need a tooth taken out that has broken off about 18 months ago. Top left (my left) of my mouth about half way along. I've been getting bad headaches on the same side and think the 2 might be related so I just thought, best get it removed as there's no point it being there really as it isn't a working tooth anymore and see if the headaches stop.

My question is, the tooth isn't loose so I'm wondering (without having the whole tooth there to pull now) how would the tooth be extracted? Guessing the gum might need drilling (which sounds horrendous lol!). Anyway, if so, could that procedure be done under local anaesthetic or would it require to be put to sleep (which was an option my dentist suggested about a year odd ago).

Thanks.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,
Even if the tooth requires a surgical extraction, it can take place in chair by an experienced dentist under local anaesthesic.
Depending on the severity of the fracture, the tooth might need to be split with a surgical drill. The gum is never drilled, but sometimes a small incision is made for a flap, to allow better access and vision and then afterwards sutures is placed to facilitate healing.

Vote:
Good day,
Even if the tooth requires a surgical extraction, it can take place in chair by an experienced dentist under local anaesthesic.
Depending on the severity of the fracture, the tooth might need to be split with a surgical drill. The gum is never drilled, but sometimes a small incision is made for a flap, to allow better access and vision and then afterwards sutures is placed to facilitate healing.

Thanks. Need to book in for an extraction. Didn't really want be put sleep so glad you think it can be done via anaesthetic.

Vote:
Good day,

Ok thanks.

I rang up to get it extracted a month ago and still haven't gone. Now I'm getting a bit of aching in it. They prescribed me amoxicillan and I was reluctant to take them because they were to clear any infection before the tooth extraction but I thought, do I really need to take them, they don't know if it is infected and I don't want to just take antibiotics if I don't need them so haven't rang them back to book in for the extraction for this reason. I really need this tooth out though pronto.

Would people just advise I take the antibiotics anyway? I shall ring them back up tomorrow.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is neither required nor good antibiotic practice to prescribe antibiotics "to clear an infection" prior to extraction. The sooner you get that tooth extracted, the better. Ring up and ask for an appointment for the extraction.

Vote:
It is neither required nor good antibiotic practice to prescribe antibiotics "to clear an infection" prior to extraction. The sooner you get that tooth extracted, the better. Ring up and ask for an appointment for the extraction.

Yeah I rang up and got in the same day believe it or not (last Monday - 18.1.21). I've had it removed now. Wasn't much hassle really, took about 3 or 4 mins. A couple of days later had a filling too and a slight clean up. After those procedures and good thorough long brushing, flossing, interdental brushes and salt water mouthwashing (apparently I've been advised not to use normal mouthwash for 2 weeks after the extraction), my teeth / gums seem to be really improving so that's good. Was getting quite a bit of blood when brushing and there's some occasionally but 2 out 3 times non at all now.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question