How to tell if filling has broken

Hi,

Last week I woke up to a cracking noise and then looked in the mirror and found that one of my fillings had partially broken off. I then went to the dentist this week and had it fixed. I said that it had likely happened while sleeping but the dentist said it was nothing to worry about because it was a 10 year old filling.

This morning in the middle of the night I woke up from another cracking noise and was able to spit out a small yellow looking piece which could be a filling because I have the yellow looking fillings. I couldn't find where it came from because I know I have 3 small fillings that I can't find.

How would I tell if the yellow piece is a filling and not just a piece of food? It seems hard but I was able to break it apart with my fingernail. Since I just had a dentist appointment I won't need another one for 6 months and I don't know how bad it would be to have a missing filling for 6 months.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually your tongue will sense missing filling(s). Many times during function, teeth with missing fillings will feel sensitive. I would not wait 6 months. A lot of damage can occur within that time.

Vote:

Ask a Question