How to starve off toothache in 2 damaged teeth?

Solutions
On Saturday I was eating a soft cheese biscuit and there was a big crunch in my mouth, I spat out the contents of my mouth but there didn’t appear to be any solids. Afterwards, chewing on the right side of my mouth became uncomfortable, so I just chewed on the left side. On Monday, a filling that has a minimum thickness of 1.5 mm (measured using a vernier), presumably covering the whole of the top of a tooth appeared in my mouth. Having felt around with my finger, I think that it was the top of the wisdom tooth, from which a splinter at the side came away 6 months ago. The tooth next to that wisdom has been extracted and the next tooth appears to be loose or cracked too; all after eating a soft cheese biscuit!

I am not in any pain, but it is tender to eat on the right side of my mouth, but I can eat on the left side of the mouth without any discomfort. I clean my teeth with an electric toothbrush after eating porridge in the morning, and since the weekend I have washed my mouth out with Corsodyl Mouthwash before going to bed. I intend to use the mouthwash after lunch, stop eating biscuits, as the bits tend to float about in my mouth, and not have anything sweet like jam or fruit drink.

Tomorrow I expect to receive a bottle of Dentogen containing 20% Clove oil:-

This states to apply with a “cottonwool bud. Repeat after 20 minutes and then every 2 hours if necessary.”

For the last 2 months I have been self isolating because I am a pensioner and I have breathing problems, and although my useless Doctor has not said that I am at risk, I am concerned about my ability to survive a Covid attack! From Monday 15 June, my dentist started to see only patients that were in pain. Hence, because of the covid and that I have no pain at the moment, I have been reluctant to contact the dentist, however, today I phoned 10 mins after opening and got cut off.

Consequently, can anyone please advise how often I should use Corsodyl Mouthwash and Dentogen, and which would be most effective in staving off toothache? Additionally, at what point should I make more of an effort to see a dentist to prevent a serious infection in my jaw?

Note, in the distant past I had a temporary filling when on holiday, which I think was later crowned, where the root was completely dead as the dentist was able to drill into it without me feeling anything. They say “where there’s no sense, there’s no feeling” :)

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Corsodyl mouthwash should not be used for longer than 2-4 weeks at a time, since it can cause staining on your teeth.
Dentogen is also just treating the pain, but not the cause of the pain.
My advice would be to phone your dentist again, and see if you can make an appointment. A broken tooth, can lead to abscess formation if left untreated. If left for too long, the tooth that could have otherwise been saved, could lead to the loss of the tooth.
Most dental practices that are open at this stage, have put certain safety measures in place to protect you from possible Covid-19 exposure.

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks for your reply Dr M, I thought that I would see how things go for a week and assess the situation before replying.

Because of your reply, I stopped taking the Dentogen and consequently I only took it for 3 days prior to your reply.

As I said, a filling that covered the whole of the top of a wisdom tooth has come away. When brushing with my Oral B electric toothbrush, I can brush the whole of the wisdom tooth because the tooth adjacent to it has been extracted and there is no pain, maybe a slight soreness afterwards. The next tooth along is the other troublesome one and I believe that a slither has formed on the outside corner nearest the wisdom tooth because sometimes I can feel the slither move, but again no pain. Note, last December a “splinter” of tooth 0.5 to 1 mm across, formed on the same wisdom tooth and my Dentist cut it off at the gum line, again I had no pain, maybe it was just a bit sore. Currently, I have not had any real pain, just some slight soreness sometimes or a dull ache after waking or brushing my teeth, or occasionally after eating, but generally it soon disappears. I can comfortably chew on the other side of my mouth. Note, many years ago my Dentist suggested that I may grind my teeth in my sleep, so maybe that is why there is soreness on waking.

Since your reply I have been brushing my teeth after breakfast, and applying the Corsodyl mouthwash for a minute before I go to bed, and occasionally after lunch if it is a bit sore, and the soreness soon disappears. After lunch I usually wash my mouth out with water too. When I feel soreness, it seems to be in the corner of my mouth by my wisdom tooth and not the tooth with the slither, but I’m not 100% sure.

I am in the UK, and a neighbour has a friend who is a dental nurse, said that as my dental surgery has refused to see me because of my age and the possibility of getting an infection, Dental Hubs have been set up to attend to people like me. However, because I am slightly out of breath most of the time, I am concerned about my ability to survive covid, so I am reluctant to seek a suitable Dentist at this time. I am self isolating and have not been out for 2.5 months. Note, last week that dental nurse said that her surgery had not opened for business yet, so there may be quite a demand for treatment by people in a far worse condition than myself. Providing my situation does not get any worse, I am tempted to wait a week or two before seeking treatment, when hopefully the covid will have died down even more.

I would grateful for any further advice?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

If the pain is manageable and you don't experience any swelling, it should be fine to wait for about 2 weeks until you can see a dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question