How to fix class 1 Malocussion?

Hello, I am pretty sure I have a class 1 Malocussion as I have a slight overbite and I've had bad habit of tongue thrusting (for my whole life now) which has caused my mandible to extend further than I'd like. Is there any procedure where I can retract the mandible rather than pulling the maxilla forwards? I personally prefer this aesthetic as I would like a softer looking jaw. Thank you!

IMG_20200507_040855.jpg

Screenshot_20200507_040824.jpg

Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A normal molar relationship exists but there is crowding, misalignment of the teeth, cross bites. You appear to have a normal bite with a relatively normal facial profile (Rickett's E-line). I don't think your jaw protrudes at all. If you still think you have a problem, go see an orthodontist for a full evaluation.

Vote:
A normal molar relationship exists but there is crowding, misalignment of the teeth, cross bites. You appear to have a normal bite with a relatively normal facial profile (Rickett's E-line). I don't think your jaw protrudes at all. If you still think you have a problem, go see an orthodontist for a full evaluation.

Thank you for replying.
So does this mean I have a maloccussion? And also, I personally would prefer a smaller jaw as I grew up in a society with such beauty standards. Will they carry out the process even if they think I don't need it? Because I would like them to consider my view on aesthetics too!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Change your friends. Each culture (and era) has had it's own perceptions of beauty. At one time, bound feet were thought to be beautiful in China. You want to do surgery? Go see a surgeon.

Vote:

Ask a Question