How necessary is wisdom tooth extraction?

My wisdom teeth seem to be fully erupted...is it really necessary to have them removed?

Attachments

• 20180902_163003_HDR_Film4.jpg
    20180902_163003_HDR_Film4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 248

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
In your specific case, not very immediate. At least yours are not on their sides. But I suspect you will find:
  1. they will tend to cause you to bite your cheek more often
  2. you are more likely to have localised gum infections
  3. you are going to have difficulty keeping the wisdoms clean, and decay is more likely.
  4. One other thing is that I see you've had a 1st molar removed - I'd consider removing the wisdom tooth on that side at least because it can push the 2nd molar over. You need to keep your teeth upright.
But you are the rare case that is easy to watch for any troubles, and unlikely to develop an emergency situation.

Vote:
In your specific case, not very immediate. At least yours are not on their sides. But I suspect you will find:
  1. they will tend to cause you to bite your cheek more often
  2. you are more likely to have localised gum infections
  3. you are going to have difficulty keeping the wisdoms clean, and decay is more likely.
  4. One other thing is that I see you've had a 1st molar removed - I'd consider removing the wisdom tooth on that side at least because it can push the 2nd molar over. You need to keep your teeth upright.
But you are the rare case that is easy to watch for any troubles, and unlikely to develop an emergency situation.
Thanks!

Vote:

Ask a Question