How long can I wait before getting a crown?

Hi, at Christmas time, I got a root canal done on my lower right lateral incisor as it was chipped and the pulp was showing. The dentist put a filling over the top of it instead of a crown.
Now, 6 months later the filling has fallen off and so I went to the dentist but because of holidays and what not, he won't be able to crown the tooth for 5 weeks! I've tried to see if any other dentists are available but not being a regular patient at the others, the waiting list is just as long.
So my question is; is it okay to live the root canal-ed tooth unprotected for that long?

Thanks, John

Hi.

I think it depends on the individual tooth. I'm surprised that your dentist isn't concerned about the filling coming off. That seems odd to me.

I've had root canaled teeth last over a year before they were crowned, but they still had the fillings in. From what I've heard they usually want you to get a crown ASAP.

JJ

Vote:

Ask a Question