How inconvenient is a denture compared to an implant?

Solutions
I am probably going to have some teeth removed and wondering whether to have a denture or an implant/s and looking for advice, especially if anyone has had dentures AND an implant/s?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Implants are better, but...
  • If your teeth are being extracted because of neglect, then implants would be high-risk unless you can mend your ways. If you don't maintain a standard car, why would you buy a Ferrari?
  • Implant viability also depends upon your remaining bone structure.
  • Implants can be quite expensive, and you should go to someone who does them often, and well, and uses good brand implants, e.g Nobel Biocare, Straumann, Dentsply Sirona.
  • Your next step is to talk to your general dentist about your individual circumstances to assess if you even get off the starting blocks for implants.

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks for your reply, Matt.

On three separate occasions, I cracked a tooth at the beginning of covid and it took around 6 months to have each of them filled, so I wonder if that made the condition of the teeth worse? Additionally I am in my 70s, and consequently I wonder if that is partly why my teeth are failing and if other teeth will continue to fail? Hence is it more sensible to get used to a denture now rather than spend money on implants, I could afford to pay for 2 implants but I don’t know about continuing to pay for more.

I am asking questions here because my dentist is Romanian and wears all the appropriate protective gear and so she is a bit difficult to understand; I am due to see her on Wednesday in 5 days time.

Details of my teeth using the 1 to 32 numbering system in the attached diagram:-

No 2 was removed in my 20s, so chewing on my right side is not very effective.

At the beginning of covid in 2020:-
No 15 cracked, but I could not get an appointment for about 6 months, when I eventually obtained an appointment my dentist said there was not much left of the tooth and although she filled it, she said that it cannot be filled again, hence I then tended to chew on the front right corner, around No 27/28.
Latter, No 3 or possibly 4 cracked, again I could not get an appointment for about 6 months, my dentist filled it, and as before she said that it cannot be filled again.
To reduce the strain on my teeth, I then stopping eating nuts and the only meat that I eat is turkey mince, I also avoid eating bread crusts and anything tough.

No 24 became loose and fell out 6 months ago, leaving about a 3/32 inch gap, so not really worth having an implant or denture there.

The filling in No 28 fell out in February this year, but I could not arrange an appointment until mid April, then 2 weeks ago that stated bleeding when I brushed my teeth, fortunately I had prearranged a checkup for that day and consequently my dentist only had time to put a temporary filling in. Consequently, I now chew mainly on No 15, so I don’t expect that to last very long, although I am now trying to get used to chewing on the front left corner.

I am on blood thinners and so need to have any teeth removed in a hospital and although 15 and 3/4 are not giving any problems at the moment, my dentist has suggested removing 28, 15 and 3/4, but that will make chewing food difficult and hence if 28 can’t be filled then I am tempted to just have that removed and then have a implant or denture in place of No 2 so that I can chew food on the right side of my mouth, and then when necessary have No 15 and No 3/4 removed.

I do wonder about getting a second opinion on 15 and 3/4 before I have them taken out?

I am in the UK so I don’t know if the Nobel Biocare, Straumann, and Dentsply Sirona implants are available here.

I am not in any pain or discomfort at the moment and any further advice or comments would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• 3F6513F7-754C-4AC5-95AB-8DA549108E09.jpeg
    3F6513F7-754C-4AC5-95AB-8DA549108E09.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question