How Fast Can A Tooth Decay?

In march of this year I had my regular 6 month dental exam; I had my dental x-rays taken. Perfectly good results; I had no decay. Fast forward 3 months later, I was eating and I felt what I thought was a filling come out of a tooth. I went to my dentist to see if he could replace lost filling. He said tooth was badly decayed, and I needed a root canal. He took x-rays of the tooth and referred me to an endodontist. The endodontist did the root canal, and a week later I was back at my dentist to get a post and temporary crown. After the dentist began to drill my tooth for post, he said crown could not be done; the tooth was decayed below gum line, and a crown would break right off. I feel at a loss, I payed almost $1000 for a root canal to find out I have to have the tooth extracted?!? This does not seem right. How fast can a tooth decay? Shouldn't the decay have shown up in the x-rays I had taken in March? I go to the dentist every six months and take good care of my teeth. I apparently will have to get an implant.

It depends on a number of factors.
1. How you take care of your gums and teeth?
2. Your dental health condition
3. How big the cavity is?

Inadequate brushing and flossing increase more chances to get tooth decay. Always follow a good oral hygiene and keep your gums and teeth healthy.

Vote:
A person doesn't just develop cavities just overnight. It typically takes months, or possibly even years, for tooth decay to advance to a point where it requires attention.

Conditions like bulimia and anorexia (psychological conditions in which individuals induce vomiting), and GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease) can create highly acidic conditions in the mouth causing severe erosive damage to teeth.

Vote:
I was told by my sons dentist that it takes a long time for cavities to form to a significant decay. However I am going through a situation as well where I was told I had a small filling and went in 3 months later with my dentist which is different from my sons and now I need root canal. I would think the endodontist would have seen that on the xrays they did when you went for the root canal.

Vote:
Try taking vitamin D3 for your teeth. I do not have insurance right now and have about 5 or 6 cavities. The only thing that seems to help the pain is taking D3 for a few days.

Also, not to bad-rap good dentists out there, but there are shady ones who purposely over look things.

Vote:
When a decay is found under an existing filling, it can progress significantly before patients feel any pain. Sometimes, the decay can even penetrate into the pulp without casing significant pain.
These decays are also difficult to spot on an X-ray, as the filling can mask the decay underneath.

Therefore, the question (in my opinion) is not how fast can a tooth decay but when is the decay actually discovered.

Vote:
Teeth decay occurs if a sticky acidic picture called plaque increases on your teeth along with begins breakdown the surface of the teeth.Eating food and drink high in carbohydrates, specially snacking often between foods, will raise your possibility of enamel decay.If you can't regularly wash your tooth and thoroughly clean between teeth with floss or perhaps an inter dental wash, you have reached a larger risk of tooth rot.People that smoke and are drinking alcohol regularly have reached an elevated risk of tooth decay.

Vote:
Tooth decay usually happen when we eat a lot of sweet and we luck of dental hygiene. That's why we should brush our teeth twice a day, floss and see a dentist every six months.

Vote:

Ask a Question