HOW DOES THE UNINSURED KNOW IF DENTAL FEE IS REASONABLE?

GND

Does anyone know how are fees for service are determined by dental practitioners? Is there a website with average fees by procedure/region one can go see if the fee i have been quoted is in the ballpark?

For example, in South Florida, how do you know that the cost of a molar extraction followed by an implant and cap being charged by a Periodontist is reasonable short of seeing several practitioners (very time consuming, not to mention, each wants to charge for their own CT scans before giving an estimate). And what if you don't have the luxury of time and have to make a decision right away? Seems unfair that insurance companies have all this information and thus the upper hand to negotiate fees, but the uninsured consumer is taken advantage of.

Thank you for your thoughts/recommendations on how obtain the pricing information I need to make a decision, and also tips on how to negotiate fees.

You mention that you live in South Florida. You might wish to check out this dental school to see how much they would charge for the work. It is also possible that they can restore the molar, rather than extracting it.
I also did not have dental insurance, and had a lot of work done at a dental school in Baltimore.
See http://dental.nova.edu

Vote:

Ask a Question