How does a tooth form

i am ding some research on it and just curious as to how a tooth is formed, are they already there to begin with or during our life time as a child they start to grow in as new new teeth and not just teeth that were there since birth. can someoe please help me understand, i am also looking for someone that is a Doctor to help me with the other questions i have to ask as well.

Before Birth:
By the third week after conception the primitive mouth has formed. Over the next few weeks the tongue,
jaws and palate develop. During the sixth week formation of formation of embryonic cells or tooth buds
that eventually form into teeth commences. By eight weeks, the tooth buds of all of the primary
(baby) teeth can be discerned; by twenty weeks, the tooth buds of permanent teeth start to develop.

After Birth:
The development of the teeth within the jaw continues after birth. Normally, the first
primary teeth start to appear in the mouth around six months after birth. The primary central incisors,
lateral incisors, first molars, canines and second molars appear in this order at intervals from 6-24 months.
For each tooth type, lower teeth tend to appear about two months before the uppers. By age two and a half years,
most children have their full complement of 20 primary teeth - 10 teeth in the upper (top) jaw and 10 teeth in the lower
bottom) jaw. As the child grows, the jaws also grow and spaces may begin to appear between
the primary teeth. This growth takes spaces for the larger permanent teeth.

Hope this helps.

Vote:

Ask a Question