How do you prevent tongue thrusting?

Solutions
Two months ago, my orthodontist took out my bracers and set me up on mobile retainers.

After these two months, I go to my scheduled appointment and now my orthodontist tells me that my mouth is starting to create an open bite again (which is the whole reason why I got the braces in the first place) because I tend to thrust my tongue when I swallow.

I never knew I even had this habit. I even got a small "tongue cage" in my retainers to help prevent this sort of thing, but my tongue always goes under it when I swallow.

Is there a way to fix this? Like, are there any exercises I could do to prevent this from happening? I find it difficult right now to consciously try to swallow without thrusting my tongue, but I believe I can do it. I've also noticed that even when I put my tongue behind that cage, it tends to push to the roof of my mouth, is this bad?

If anyone knows how to prevent this, please tell me. This really makes me worried since I don't want my teeth to go back into the same position as they were before I got braces, making all this time and money invested in this wasted :(

Ask a Question