How do they shave off bone fragments? Did it require anesthesia?

Solutions
I have extracted my upper wisdom tooth 2 months back. I had lower jaw pain with swelling and neck pain under earlobe. Dentist days it could be because of upper wisdom tooth and I removed it. I still have the same pain in the lower jaw and neck even after the removal. I am still finding answer for that.

I didn't have any stiches after the WT extraction. I went for follow-up after 2 weeks of extraction and OMFS said it's healing good. Now, I noticed a small lump which is very hard on the gum of the extraction site. It's been there for 2 weeks now. It was painful if I touch or press. And sometime gives sore pain. I thought it will go off on it's own. It didn't. Since I have severe pain in the lower jaw and neck, I couldn't differentiate if it's from this boil on the gum.

I went today to check with OMFS. He said, it's a bone fragment and told me to wait for 2 more weeks to see if how it goes. If it's painful, told me to come back to take it off. He asked if it's painful and I said it gives some sore pain sometimes. He told me to wait for 2 weeks and see.

I came home and now I feel some throbbing and sore pain on that spot on and off. Sometimes like pinching pain. Is it something to check it out soon or can I wait? What is shaving it off mean? Will it be another anesthetic procedure? I was so nervous at dental office and didn't ask much questions to the OMFS.Is this normal to have that in the gum? Will it go away on its own? How do they do it? What if we leave it like that? Is it harmful? Please anyone who experienced this before, please share your inputs.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually after an extraction , the alveolar bone resorbs in various dimensions. Sometimes sharp edges can occur during this process, that can be painful on the associated gingiva and even cause an ulcer. In such cases, a conservative alveolotomy can be considered. This is done under local anaesthetic. No need for general anaesthesia. The sharp bone will be exposed and then the sharp edge will be cut with a bone rongeur instrument or it can be shaved with a surgical drill.

Vote:
Solutions
Usually after an extraction , the alveolar bone resorbs in various dimensions. Sometimes sharp edges can occur during this process, that can be painful on the associated gingiva and even cause an ulcer. In such cases, a conservative alveolotomy can be considered. This is done under local anaesthetic. No need for general anaesthesia. The sharp bone will be exposed and then the sharp edge will be cut with a bone rongeur instrument or it can be shaved with a surgical drill.
Thank you doctor. Mine is so small hard lump. He told me to give it 2 weeks.
Does it require any recovery period after this surgical drill procedure? Is it necessary to drop it off or will it go on it's Own?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There is a possibility that it can resorb on its own without any intervention. That is why the OFMS advised you to give it another 2 weeks. After the procedure is done however, recovery can be as quick as 1 to 2 weeks

Vote:
Solutions
There is a possibility that it can resorb on its own without any intervention. That is why the OFMS advised you to give it another 2 weeks. After the procedure is done however, recovery can be as quick as 1 to 2 weeks
Thank you doctor. Because, I have planned a RCT for lower first molar this or next week. So, I don't know if this procedure will affect that or vice versa.

Vote:
Solutions
I feel throbbing pain on that gum spot where I have hard blister like bump. Is it harmful if I delay removing it? I feel some throbbing pain since last night.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I agree with Dr. M. Bone changes after extraction. The least traumatic option is to allow the bony bump to resolve on its own. I don't anticipate the bump to be too serious because the upper wisdom teeth are usually less traumatic to remove.

Vote:
Solutions
I agree with Dr. M. Bone changes after extraction. The least traumatic option is to allow the bony bump to resolve on its own. I don't anticipate the bump to be too serious because the upper wisdom teeth are usually less traumatic to remove.
Thank you @honestdoc. Appreciate it.
I have severe throbbing pain in the extraction site. So I am thinking if that bony bump is causing the pain. It's very small on the gum. I will try to get a picture of it. Do I need to remove it or wait with pain?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Totally your call. If you cannot tolerate it, then the surgeon will anesth, flap the gum back to expose the bump and smooth or remove the bony projection(s).

Vote:
Solutions
Totally your call. If you cannot tolerate it, then the surgeon will anesth, flap the gum back to expose the bump and smooth or remove the bony projection(s).
Thank you doctor.
Oh...is it another anesthetic procedure? Do they cost more? How about the recovery period? I am currently going through lower jaw pain too. So, don't want to mess around. Is this a simple procedure?

Vote:

Ask a Question