How do I access images of my teeth x-rays on a dvd the dentist gave me to take to a prosthodontist?

I saw a dentist, Dr. H, last week because a porcelain crown installed by a former dentist, who installed 20 crowns in 2007, broke off with my tooth attached. (I asked for veneers, the former dentist called them veneers and the bill says veneers but they cover my entire tooth and I now understand that to be a crown).
Dr. H's assistant (?) took a few photos with a camera and then took me into another room, asked me to stand still and a machine with 2 compartments, opposite each other, circled my head a few times.
Dr. H then examined my teeth, said my gums looked good but the broken tooth was a result of the crown/veneer leaking and that others appeared to be leaking because the bonding was failing. He said that he did not have the skills to undo the damage done by the former dentist because I also had an overbite and referred me to what appears to be a top prosthodontist. He also told me that he was sorry this happened to me. I have seen 5 dentists over the years and he is the only one who has told me what
They gave me a referral sheet and a DVD with "3D" written on it, the rushed me out, no charge for anything. I protested and said I would like to pay for the consultation and the camera/machine(radiograph?), so as not to feel obligated in case I had questions but they practically pushed me out the door. Of course I was anxious to know what was on the DVD and the Prosthodontist did not have an opening for 3 weeks. I went to Best Buy and asked what I need to download the digitals onto my MacAir and the Geek attempted to download the images on a PC but it is password protected.
I called the office the next day and asked the receptionist if I could pay for them to print the images. She said that everyone was with patients and she would get back to me. They have never called.
Do I have any rights to see these images since they refused payment? I assume I was exposed to some radiation and that should count for something. I feel frightened that there is bone deterioration or worse.
The incident inspired me to rummage through old boxes and find photos of my teeth before the work, when I had NO overbite (I do have a serious overbite now and my back teeth do not touch). I found some pictures and cried because my teeth were so nice. I never had teeth problems other than a few cavities in my back molars. I was so sad after my mother died that I thought a smile makeover would help me to start smiling again.
Does anyone know how I can access the images on the DVD? I could arrange an appointment with another dentist, assuming they have similar software, but Dr. H's office has the password.
Any suggestions, please. I already have an infected partial tooth and would like to know if my bones are disintegrating. I have horrible sinus problems and tinnitus and wonder if those have been caused by the bad dental work. The former dentist ground my healthy teeth into tiny nubs and I was told by two dentists that I consulted later that they would have to cut my gums to be able to bond a new crown that kept falling off.
I am sorry this is so long. I am confused and scared with nowhere to turn.

Libraries often assist with such digital issues like that, consider trying there. There isn't anything I can do without access to that data. It is possible the BestBuy technician didn't know how to open the files and got the password prompt mistakenly, I have seen this before due to Windows guessing the filetype wrong. Knowing the full filenames and filetypes would be helpful. There are many free software tools capable of reading medical imagery.

That machine you described was probably a panoramic x ray machine; the DVD should contain a panoramic x-ray.

Look up the lifespan of crowns, 10 years on average; longer if well maintained and installed by a skilled, honourable practitioner.

20 crowns in one year seems *very* unusual.

Yes sinus problems can be caused by teeth. I had many sinus infections due to a dead tooth & implant, a saline sinus rinse resolved the sinus issues in my case (look up "saline sinus rinse wikihow" for instructions).

If you still have a copy of your invoice saying veneers on it, it is possible he submitted claims for crowns to your insurance company. Please contact your insurance company and compare what they have record and what you have on record.

I had a past dentist who did not submit certain claims to the insurance company in order to reduce the paper trail as he chose not to pay income taxes on those payments- he was caught due to a diligent patient who noticed the discrepancies.

In your case perhaps he billed you for 20 veneers and the insurance company for 20 crowns? Your insurance company should have a customer service line, please speak to them in detail about this issue.

Vote:
Libraries often assist with such digital issues like that, consider trying there. There isn't anything I can do without access to that data. It is possible the BestBuy technician didn't know how to open the files and got the password prompt mistakenly, I have seen this before due to Windows guessing the filetype wrong. Knowing the full filenames and filetypes would be helpful. There are many free software tools capable of reading medical imagery.

That machine you described was probably a panoramic x ray machine; the DVD should contain a panoramic x-ray.

Look up the lifespan of crowns, 10 years on average; longer if well maintained and installed by a skilled, honourable practitioner.

20 crowns in one year seems *very* unusual.

Yes sinus problems can be caused by teeth. I had many sinus infections due to a dead tooth & implant, a saline sinus rinse resolved the sinus issues in my case (look up "saline sinus rinse wikihow" for instructions).

If you still have a copy of your invoice saying veneers on it, it is possible he submitted claims for crowns to your insurance company. Please contact your insurance company and compare what they have record and what you have on record.

I had a past dentist who did not submit certain claims to the insurance company in order to reduce the paper trail as he chose not to pay income taxes on those payments- he was caught due to a diligent patient who noticed the discrepancies.

In your case perhaps he billed you for 20 veneers and the insurance company for 20 crowns? Your insurance company should have a customer service line, please speak to them in detail about this issue.

Vote:
Thank you very much for your information. And for just reading my post. I do not feel so desperate now.

I thought that doctors needed our consent for radiation exposure?

I do not have dental insurance. I did not need it because I had not had a cavity in 20 years before this cosmetic procedure. Also my procedure was only cosmetic and insurance will not pay for that.

You are right about crowns, some of which fail at only 5 years, I read. Of course I thought I had veneers and they have a longer lifespan. No one told me to watch for leakage. I guess I thought they would all eventually crack and fall off the still healthy nub, since that is what two others did. A dentist told me in 2011 that they would have to be covered or they would rot and I would lose the teeth. I said "What teeth? I don't have any teeth. My teeth were drilled away! I have nubs, not teeth!" Truth and humor but I was the only one to laugh.
Nevertheless they are still there without enamel or cavities. The cavity was inside the veneer/crown that broke.
I have not had a second of pain so there was no way to know. Two recently consulted dentists have told me that I do not have any periodontal disease. If I do not have bacteria and plaque in my gums why would I think it might be inside my bonded crowns? Maybe this is what "oil pulling" is for?
Actually I am lucky that one broke before the others since some might still be okay. Although I have considered that no teeth/nubs might be the best way to resolve everything forever, my knees get weak when I hear the word "extraction".

I was really stupid to do this. I honestly thought he was pasting those thin veneers on my teeth. They were being advertised in the magazines. Da Vinci veneers. He said he had someone better than DaVinci. Then the day came that he said he had to take a little enamel off. When he handed me the mirror I nearly fainted. I will never forget that day. I wanted to scream. I wish I had now.

I know an African medical doctor in his 40s who has beautiful teeth and has never had a cavity. He also avoids dentists preferring to take care of his teeth himself. Why not study people such as that and find out what they are doing right?
I have an appointment with a prosthodontist other than the one I was referred to and I think will be more open to non-standard approaches. I think but who knows. I have read about new developments in correcting overbite, not braces, but contraptions that fit in your mouth. But my teeth have to be fixed first, I think. He has the equipment to view the images and I will ask for prints or I will use my iPhone and photograph them. That should work, do you think? If he protests I will know we are not a good fit. I described the machine to his receptionist and she said it was the panoramic or whatever. I do know that it exposes one to radiation they say is not dangerous. I guess we will find out in the future.

So I still have hope that I can return to something reminiscent of the my original teeth/mouth and face. We'll see.
This is an edit to say that the receptionist just called and they have a cancellation for Wednesday! Otherwise it would be 2 weeks. I had told her my story when I called so maybe that helped. So things are looking up!

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question