How common is gum recession after prepping and getting a temporary bridge?

I had congenitally missing upper lateral incisors (teeth 7 and 10). Couldn't get implants (my dentist wanted to do it, but it just wasn't an option for my situation). We decided on a fixed bridge. About a month and a half ago, they prepped the teeth...filed them down, etc. I had Invisalign for 2 years with the same dentist beforehand. So they had 2 extra "adjustment trays" that I didn't need to wear. They were able to use the upper tray to inject composite of some type into it and cure it with the UV light, producing a better looking temporary bridge than if someone did it roughly by hand (the invisalign tray had a 'pontic' in place of each missing tooth, so the temporary also filled in the space for the missing teeth by using the invisalign trays). All went great. It took about 3 weeks for my bridge to come back. He commented that I had "worn down" apparently the outer covering of the temp bridge or something. I had a lot of sensitivity for the first week or two and had to come back in and he make it a little thicker. The new bridge...didn't fit. My gums apparently receeded on top for some reason, so there was a gap between the upper center teeth of the bridge and the gum itself. We did more impressions and sent it back to the lab again for them to either adjust it or start from scratch with the new impressions and make a new one.

How common is this for the gum to receed and the bridge to not fit the first time? Is it from the prepping or am I brushing too hard or something? I'm not doing anything new that I know of to wear the gum down that I didn't do before I got the teeth prepped and the temp bridge. Also, why would my temporary bridge be "wearing down"? Is it just the composite being a softer material? The porcelain won't do that, right? I use an electric toothbrush at home and typically a manual toothbrush at work during my breaks. It was only about 3 weeks that passed since my prepping/impressions for the temp bridge. Will my gum receed anymore? I'm concerned about the bridge getting fitted permanently and then the gum receeding and causing gaps or something. I can't be the only one with these concerns and experiences.

Anyone?

Ask a Question