How can you tell if a filling has mercury in it?

Hi guys, don't want to start a discussion about the pros and cons of mercury in fillings as I'm sure it's already been covered.

Personally I prefer to pay extra and have non mercury fillings. What is slightly worrying me though is that I went for a filling the other day, checked with the dentist that it was non mercury, paid the extra (£49 NHS in the UK) and then when I got home I was surprised to see it is a kind of silver colour. It doesn't have the black appearance that I normally associate with a mercury filling but neither is it tooth coloured like previous ones I've had.

If you'll excuse me, I've included a pic for your perusal, not the most flattering image I've ever uploaded of myself but would be really really grateful for any thoughts on this issue.

Attachments

• P1030131.JPG
    P1030131.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 765
Hi Willn, no way to tell from pic what material was used. Be at ease to know there are several products that look similar to mercury fillings but are not. My compliments to the dentist who seems to take pride in his work. Your filling looks well placed with efforts made to conform to the natural anatomy of the tooth and assure good occlusion.

Vote:
Thanks for getting back to me Thomas, that's reassuring to know, if you have a moment, please could you explain a little bit more about the products that look similar to mercury, I have tried googling this but with no luck. Thanks again, Will

Vote:
Thanks for getting back to me Thomas, that's reassuring to know, if you have a moment, please could you explain a little bit more about the products that look similar to mercury, I have tried googling this but with no luck. Thanks again, Will
Hi Willn, fillings that look similar to mercury fillings would be "ketac silver" and even more similar in appearance "gallium-palladium alloy". Both are mercury free and the latter is more likely what was used on you.

Vote:
If you're referring to tooth #30 that's definitely an amalgam filling. From the picture I can see several composite fillings in your mouth, but the fresh looking gray one is what you've referred to as a mercury filling. It will get darker as it ages. ( Actually called amalgam because it is a mixture of several metals and does contain some mercury) I personally have several in my mouth and don't mind them, but if you paid for a composite filling you may want to ask for a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:
Dear LADentalclinic , I agree with you that #30 is definitely an amalgam filling....but is it an amalgam that contains mercury ? I have placed over 50,000 traditional mercury amalgams in my practice and like you I could assume quickly that this is one also......but, the patient paid 49 pounds extra to get a mercury free filling. I feel compelled to believe that our fellow dentist is honorable and a credit to our profession and from that point of view may have indeed restored the tooth with a "gallium-palladium alloy".......(also an amalgam that contains "several metals" but no "Mercury") and looks very similar to our traditional mercury amalgams. Alas, the patient did not pay for a composite filling but wanted a mercury free filling. I would very much like the patient to ask the dental provider what he did in fact use to restore #30 and share the answer with us.

Vote:

Ask a Question