How can I avoid endodontic treatment?

Hope somebody can help with this. Over the last 9 months I have been very ill after a brown recluse spider bite and on a lot of medications which caused mouth breathing, dry mouth etc.
I have never had caries in any anterior teeth before, however suddenly a very large cavity developed in my upper left cuspid. This one is pretty scary looking and the dentist wants to jump in and do a root canal. Naturally I would like to avoid this. While the cavity is large it has not as yet affected the pulp chamber, however it is really close to it. The dentist mentioned putting something on after drilling and before placing the restoration to protect the pulp chamber and root. Does anyone know what this is, and how often it works? I'm very leery of endodontia.

She says we'll then wait to see for about a month, personally I think a bit longer might be better. If no infection develops we're good. Fingers crossed.

A pulp cap either direct or indirect is sometimes placed inside of a tooth that has a deep cavity. This serves as a barrier between the filling and the pulp which in some instances can prevent the need for endodontic treatment. Everyone is different and each tooth responds differently. It is impossible to say for a certainty if the pulp cap will work, but many patients like to try it instead of proceeding right into root canal therapy.

Vote:
Root canal treatment, also known as endodontic therapy, can often be avoided the same way that many dental problems can be prevented. Regular dental examinations and treatment as needed, excellent home care and oral hygiene, proper diet, avoidance of trauma and anything else that affects the health of your teeth. It is essential to brush well and thoroughly clean between the teeth to avoid cavities which can progress into the pulp (nerve area) of the tooth if left untreated.

Vote:

Ask a Question