Hooked root molar extraction

A week ago I had a top molar extraction with a hooked root. It was an extremely unpleasant procedure with lots of rough pulling etc. I was in lot of pain for 4 days afterwards, after which the pain did decrease but I still can’t cope without painkillers. I usually have a very high pain threshold but this is a different level. I have looked carefully at the socket and it appears to be healing well with any bone visibility. Does anyone know if it’s normal to still be in pain after 7 days from this type of extraction? The pain is generally coming from the gum. Thanks in advance

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It depends. Difficult extraction means different things for different people. There are a lot of contributing factors that influence healing-such as systemic conditions, method of extraction, amount of tissue or bone removed etc. I would also not rule out a dry socket yet. Best would be to go for a follow-up with the dentist, just to ensure that all looks good.
But if the pain is improving, you can also wait it out. A difficult extraction can sometimes have post op surgical pain that lasts for 2 weeks.

Vote:
It depends. Difficult extraction means different things for different people. There are a lot of contributing factors that influence healing-such as systemic conditions, method of extraction, amount of tissue or bone removed etc. I would also not rule out a dry socket yet. Best would be to go for a follow-up with the dentist, just to ensure that all looks good.
But if the pain is improving, you can also wait it out. A difficult extraction can sometimes have post op surgical pain that lasts for 2 weeks.
100% agreed.

Vote:
100% agreed.
Thanks very much for replying. I’ve got an appointment at the dentist tomorrow as I’m still in pain. This is what it looks like but I’ve absolutely no idea if that’s normal.

Attachments

• D10FE980-DABC-4A80-8064-04511B6CD68A.jpeg
    D10FE980-DABC-4A80-8064-04511B6CD68A.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 11

Vote:

Ask a Question