Help reading xray

Help! Can someone please help me read this X-ray? It was taken yesterday since I’ve been having gum swelling around my wisdom tooth which I know has to be taken out. My question is do you see an infection or abscess?

Attachments

• 71C877A1-E468-4C10-B37E-2D58CF8363D9.jpeg
    71C877A1-E468-4C10-B37E-2D58CF8363D9.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 19

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Your wisdom tooth seems impacted. Although it doesn't need infection or an abscess to cause pain, it doesn't mean it can't cause you issues. Partially impacted wisdom teeth, such as in your case, often lead to pericoronitis, which is inflammation of the gum surrounding the part of the tooth that is erupted or visible in the mouth. Pericoronitis can lead to severe pain, even difficulty with mouth opening. I would recommend taking it out.

Vote:
Good day
Your wisdom tooth seems impacted. Although it doesn't need infection or an abscess to cause pain, it doesn't mean it can't cause you issues. Partially impacted wisdom teeth, such as in your case, often lead to pericoronitis, which is inflammation of the gum surrounding the part of the tooth that is erupted or visible in the mouth. Pericoronitis can lead to severe pain, even difficulty with mouth opening. I would recommend taking it out.
Thank you so much for responding. From the looks of what you can see do you see a severe infection? As I should take antibiotics for?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Pericoronitis is more a clinical diagnoses than something you can see on an x-ray. I would recommend starting with anti-inflammatory meds and a disinfectant mouthrinse. If you have severe swelling and difficulty opening your mouth, antibiotics might be indicated.

Vote:

Ask a Question