Help! Pain 2 weeks after implant

Three months ago i had #14 failed root canal extracted and bonegraft done, took antibiotics. Socket healed well and everything ok. 2 weeks ago I had an implant placed , had no severe pain after the surgery, took antibiotics before and after the surgery and 2 days after as well, on the 3rd day had stomach distress and stopped the antibiotic for 3 days, on the third day i developed a severe migrane and started taking the antibiotics again daily with naproxen for pain and felt better while taking these for the following two week period but once done with the meds pain has not completely dissapeared. I can discribe the pain as, localized inside the where the implant is, outside gums are healed and look healthy not swollen, inside feels like a pressure dull throbbing ache with a migrane, and ocasional burst of pain. I had F/u visit with my dentist who did the implant surgery, she took X-Ray looks perfect, no bone loss, not invading the sinus cavity. I told her i can't stand the throbbing soreness and migrane and i want her to remove the implant today!! She told me i don't have infection because X-rays don't show it and gums look perfect, she prescribed Methylprednisolone 4mg, 21 tablets and said i have to give it 2 more weeks to give it a chance to heal, she said all i have is inflamation, no need for more antibiotics. After these 2 weeks if i continue with pain then she will extract the implant. Question: is this standard procedure? She said my symptoms are unusual and she's never had a case like mine before.

Implants are tolerated well by most people. Very few patients are allergic to the titanium used in implants. On rare occasions though, a person may have a reaction to it resulting in the removal of the implant. The fact that you didn't take the antibiotic as prescribed may have complicated things. It is very important not to miss a dose of antibiotics. 3 days without them is a lot. The good thing is that no infection is present on the x-ray. Hopefully the pain will subside in the next two weeks and you won't have to go through another surgical procedure.

Vote:

Ask a Question