Help me identify the issue

Please if someone could tell me identify the problem of my jaw, that would be really helpful. Personally, what i see is a huge assymetry between the right and left side of jaw, but is it normal or is surgery needed? Is the chin the issue? I should note that I had braces a few years ago to close the gaps between my teeth, but as soon as i took them off they started to shift again.. even with night guards. I have a narrow palate, mild open bite and mouth protrusion (the protrusion was bigger before the braces). Im very sorry for these weird pictures, but i want to be as clear as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_205602.jpg
    IMG_20221012_205602.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 9
  • PSX_20221012_194625.jpg
    PSX_20221012_194625.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 9

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This is not true. Removing wisdom teeth is often a necessity when undergoing orthodontic treatment as well as jaw surgery

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It seems like both images are of the same side of the jaw. What exactly is your problem? Are you worried about your teeth shifting again? What did the orthodontist say regarding your wisdom teeth? Was jaw surgery part of your original treatment plan?
Too many unknowns to give an opinion here

Vote:
Greetings Dr M. Thank you for your answer.

This is a panoramic xray as I don't have a cephalometric one. First pic shows the right side and second pic the left one. I turnt both pictures in the same direction, because I thought I would make it more clear. The left side (second picture) looks longer and "curvier" than the right side and I cannot tell if both sides of jaws are normal or not. I feel as if my jaw is "hanging". In other words, it goes downwards.

I want to know if the protrusion and mild open bite is caused by the jaw (the issue is skeletal) or if the issue is only dental and my jaw is normal.

I had visited a maxillofacial surgeon a few months ago.. He told me to seek an ortho and to have my wisdom teeth removed. He said that looking at bites is not his specialty. He refused to check my jaw..

Surgery was never mentioned

Last edited:

Vote:
Good day

It seems like both images are of the same side of the jaw. What exactly is your problem? Are you worried about your teeth shifting again? What did the orthodontist say regarding your wisdom teeth? Was jaw surgery part of your original treatment plan?
Too many unknowns to give an opinion here
Greetings Dr M. Thank you for your answer.

This is a panoramic xray as I don't have a cephalometric one. First pic shows the right side and second pic the left one. I turnt both pictures in the same direction, because I thought I would make it more clear. The left side (second picture) looks longer and "curvier" than the right side and I cannot tell if both sides of jaws are normal or not. I feel as if my jaw is "hanging". In other words, it goes downwards.

I want to know if the protrusion and mild open bite is caused by the jaw (the issue is skeletal) or if the issue is only dental and my jaw is normal.

I had visited a maxillofacial surgeon a few months ago.. He told me to seek an ortho and to have my wisdom teeth removed. He said that looking at bites is not his specialty. He refused to check my jaw..

Surgery was never mentioned

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is highly likely that there might be a skeletal growth issue as well. I agree with the oral surgeon. You will need to seek the advice of an orthodontist.

Vote:
It is highly likely that there might be a skeletal growth issue as well. I agree with the oral surgeon. You will need to seek the advice of an orthodontist.
Thank you Doctor. One last question if I may. I'm just afraid that removing wisdom teeth would have a negative impact on the face. Is that true?

Vote:

Ask a Question