HELP!! In very severe pain from dry socket!

I am hoping that someone on this forum can provide me with some advice because I'm about the cut my head off from the pain. My dental pain has never been this bad.

About 2 months ago, a lower tooth - the canine tooth - began throbbing intensely. Despite my money is low, I had no choice to go to a dentist. He was shocked to see that all of my teeth are in bad shape due to a life-long, unconscious habit of grinding my teeth during intense stress. (And there has been a ton of stress in my life. The lower canine was deeply infected, and he put me on antibiotics and gave me a few pain pills with the instruction to return in a week to have it pulled.

The problem was that I could not afford his extraction fee. So, the tooth festered, and the pain grew worse with time. About a month ago, I went to another dentist, and he offered to pull it for a cheaper price. I agreed because I could not take the pain anymore. It was keeping me awake at night and preventing me from eating.

I was excited about the extraction date. I thought that the pain would finally be over, once the extraction healed. I was proven wrong. Instead, the pain in that area has intensified greatly, despite the fact that there is a big hole where the tooth used to be. I went back to the dentist, and he diagnosed a dry socket. He packed it with clove oil and numbed it, which lasted 6 hours. After that 6 hours though, the pain returned with force.

I waited a few days to see if the pain would calm down, but it did not. Instead, it grew worse. I called the dentist back, and he said he'd pack it again. But, I was deeply upset and offended when he stated, "I will not give you any more pain medicine." I am not making up this pain to get the pain medicine. This has left me in tears. I just want a break from the pain. I know from before that packing the tooth will not dull the pain.

I have an appointment scheduled with him this afternoon, and he will numb it again and pack it. It just really hurts that he treated me like a "drug seeker" and not someone in pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I feel like pulling all of my teeth because this pain is so bad. The tooth behind the extracted tooth is also in bad shape, so I'm wondering if it's contributing to the pain. This dentist never examined the other tooth, but the other dentist did.

I do not expect a large or medium quantity of pain meds. I just want enough to get me through until it stops hurting. It hurts emotionally that he is treating me this way. It's not like I do not have any teeth that cause pain.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have tried all sorts of home remedies, from ice to everything else under the sun. I am at my wit's end with this tooth. I have not slept in nights because of this painful tooth. And, unfortunately, I do have a family doctor to turn to now. I do not have insurance, so I'm up a creek.

Thank you so much for any and all feedback.

I'm sorry that you're in so much pain. Dry sockets can be miserable. Very often they have to be packed several times to provide relief. As you stated, the pain could be coming from one of the other teeth. At some point it would be a good idea to have a complete checkup so this kind of thing doesn't sneak up on you again. Are you able to take Ibuprofen? This is the drug of choice for many patients with dental pain because it helps with pain and inflammation. It is a good alternative if you are unable to get more prescription medicine. 800 milligrams at a time can be tolerated by most people but it's best to check with your doctor or pharmacist. Some areas have community dental clinics that charge reduced fees based on income. This may be an option. If there are any dental schools in your area they offer dental services at greatly reduced cost as well.

Vote:

Ask a Question