Heart meds, dry mouth, decay

Hello,
I'm hoping for some feedback before I make this huge move.
I'm 60 years old and take meds for heart and for copd.
For the last couple of years every time I go to the dentist I have like 3 more areas of decay. It's been non stop.
So the.higher dentist in the practice started looking at me closely. All new x-rays, diet and meds etc..
Conclusion is that my teeth are decaying rapidly mainly because 5 or 6 of my meds cause dry mouth, exacerbated by my higher carb vegan diet.
Only decent solution supposedly is to pull all my teeth, put in 5 implants on top and 2 on the bottom and get special dentures that attach to the implants. Total cost around $30k.

Any thoughts about if this sounds legit or not or how common this is or alternative solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solutions
I'm sure it's possible for meds to cause dry mouth and it's known that dry mouth is bad for teeth, but you should seek a second and maybe third opinion on the treatment that has been proposed. I'm sure there are more conservative options. It's also important to limit caffeine and alcohol and to pay meticulous attention to dental hygiene.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Take X-rays (past and present) and records to get a 2nd opinion. Lots of meds cause dry mouth, but rarely to the extent which you describe (except for drug addicts!). You've prob been taking some of those meds for a while before this sudden change, so why would this suddenly seem to occur?
Look to your frequency of eating - are you eating lots of in-between food? Are you using bottled water or fluoridated tap water? Do you use fluoride t'paste, or even change to a higher form? Use a chlorhexidine mouthwash.

Vote:

Ask a Question