Have been recommended wisdom tooth removal but it has many complications, need help, idk what to do!

mna

i've been having this pain in my last molar on the left lower side of the jaw. have been told it's because of an included molar (completely covered in the gum tissue, not exposed). i also had gum pain due to an abscess that formed on the last molar (the visible one). the abscess was drained but i had what i felt was a whole body infection from it - i took what antibiotics i had on hand (cefuroxime) but it didn't eliminate the pain completely, just diminished it. that was almost 2 months ago, now the pain is back along with an unbearable headache and a swollen behind the ear lymph node.
i have been told i need surgery to remove my wisdom tooth but because of its positioning i have been made aware of many complications: the wisdom tooth touched the mandibular nerve and i have been told i can have permanent nerve damage to that part of the jaw. i also have been told the risk of dry socket and bone infection is higher. but i was told all this by dentists suggesting i get this operation at their practice at a very elevated price.
i'm afraid to have this operation because of the possible complications and also because of the fact that i believe i have a general gum infection - as i feel pressure like pain in my upper jaw as well.
shouldn't i take a round of antibiotics before the surgery anyway since - from what i understand - going into a surgery with an active infection is dangerous.
i'm sitting here with a horrible headache that renders me useless and also nausea and an overall tired feeling in my body. i don't know what to do. the tooth itself doesn't hurt but i've been warned by the dentists it can get a bad infection further down the line.
i don't even have a recourse here bc i live in a 3rd world country where there are few cabinets who do this procedure and i would have to go to the state operated dental hospital to get it done.
i feel trapped, what should i do? i have a script for antibiotics (augmentin) form my GP. should i start taking those? i should add i suffer from liver inflammation and i'm afraid to add an known liver toxin like an antibiotic but idk what to do. the drs in my country are very incompetent and i'm afraid....
i have an xray attached.

Attachments

• xray.jpg
    xray.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 39

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Unfortunately the risk of nerve damage is always there with an impacted 3rd molar. It is therefore recommended to get the tooth removed by an experienced oral surgeon in order to limit complications.
It is also possible that the pain your are experiencing is from your lower left 2nd molar and not the wisdom tooth. On the x-ray provided it looks like you had root canal treatment done on this molar, but this treatment is incomplete, with the mesial root of the tooth completely untreated. This means you might have an infection in that tooth as well.
Toothache is best treated with anti-inflammatory medications, and if there is swelling or signs of infection, antibiotics. If you are worried about liver complications, you can ask for an antibiotic that is safe such as Amoxicillin or Azithromycin, and you should be fine if you follow the dentist/doctor's dosage instructions.

Hope this helps.

Vote:

mna

well thanks for the reply, it does help! i have been taking NSAIDS, mostly dexketoprofen.
i actually have seen an endodontist today and she said to not get the second molar retreated. she said that to her it appears that there's no infection visible on the x-ray (but i know there can be a hidden infection). and she also said i should put a crown on the 2nd molar bc my gum is loose to fill the space, without retreating the tooth.
i thought it quite odd that she didn't want to do the root canal.
i have been to a surgeon - an oral surgeon - who was too afraid of the complications to pull out the wisdom molar. i have another appointment with another oral surgeon to get a second opinion.

Vote:

Ask a Question