Hard moveable bumps on upper gum

Discussion in 'Dental Archive' started by Richard, Apr 16, 2009.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I posted here a couple months ago about a hard moveable bump on my
    upper gum. Since then I have been to two periodontists. They said it
    was "nothing to worry about".

    However, the burning and redness concerned me and still does.

    The bumps are larger now, harder, and actually visible (I don't have
    to feel around with my finger). The gum is bright red and inflamed in
    this one area where the two hard bumps are.

    Again, these bumps are moveable. Also just above this area, I have a
    swollen turbinate - can hardly breathe out of the left side of my
    nose. I'm going back to one periodontist in a couple weeks for a
    checkup on this, but he couldn't figure it out the first time.

    I’m a little freaked out about this. Like, what if it’s cancer!? Why
    is my gum inflamed and I have hard moveable bumps that are growing
    larger? Does this sound like cancer?

    My old post from a couple months ago:
    Richard, Apr 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I know I look nuts for replying to myself but, I found this:

    My hard, movable lump looks like the ones in figures 1.55 and 1.56:
    http://www.dentalmedsoft.com/OralPathBookdemo/OralPathText/Chapter 1.htm

    If these are by any chance "gingival fibrous nodules", what would
    cause them? And would they feel slightly inflamed?

    The only thing I can think of is that I started on a higher dose of
    beta blockers around the time these appeared.

    Richard, Apr 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  3. Richard

    tenthmed Guest

    Why don't you go see your primary care physician and ask for a
    referral to an oral surgeon or an Ear, Nose, and Throat surgeon. The
    latter referral should be covered by your medical benefits plan, if
    you are fortunate enough to have such a plan.

    The ENT will order other diagnostic tests and go from there. Seems to
    me that if you are that concerned about this, some sort of biopsy
    should be done, even if it is only to assuage your fears of CA.
    tenthmed, Apr 16, 2009
  4. Richard

    Dartos Guest

    No offense, but I wouldn't rush to anyone with an MD degree
    for a likely dental condition. Oral surgeon, that's OK.

    It doesn't 'sound like' any cancer I've ever seen in 30 years,
    but that doesn't mean much either.

    I would think just about any decent dentist could identify what is
    going on, or send the patient to a dental specialist.

    The reason I am concerned about physician involvement early in
    the process is that I've seen too many cases of unnecessary
    CAT scans, X-rays, MRI's, and even sinus surgery to correct
    a simple abcessed tooth!

    If I don't *know* what's going on, I refer to the dental school
    pathology department, or an oral surgeon. They get to the
    bottom of things quickly, and will involve medical doctors the
    minute they are needed, but not before.

    My 2¢,

    tenthmed wrote:
    Dartos, Apr 16, 2009
  5. Richard

    tenthmed Guest

    I agree with lots of what you say. However, I've been following the
    OP's previous thread and he never seems to be satisfied with the
    diagnosis of his general dentist, periodontist, and now a second
    periodontist. If he is unwilling to accept their diagnoses and has
    obvious doubts, then he should pursue further evaluation to either
    help back-up his various dentists, or in the infinitesimally small
    chance that all three dental clinicians are mistaken, prove them

    If I had a similar situation in my office, I would definitely refer if
    I was not willing to biopsy the bumps myself and the patient refused
    to accept my diagnosis. That, unfortunately, is good risk-management.
    You need to cover all possibilities. Jim Sokolove anybody?
    tenthmed, Apr 16, 2009
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    They haven't given me a diagnosis to "accept" (except the first
    doctor, how diagnosed it as "nothing"). All three have not been able
    to explain the burning and inflamation. The last doctor said "it could
    be the beta blockers" then on the way out the door he says "but it
    doesn't make sense why its localized in this one area". When the
    doctor is unsure, you can bet the patient (me) will be concerned. I'm
    scheduled to see the periodontist again next week for a follow up
    (he's been taking pictures with his camera). I guess he will refer me
    somewhere if needed. otherwise I guess I'd try a dental school or an

    Richard, Apr 16, 2009
  7. Richard

    New B. Guest

    On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:20:05 -0700 (PDT), Richard

    Could even be that your constant rubbing and checking the area has
    aggravated it. Could be something as simple as a fibroma, that you
    constantly keep irritating.

    I'd go see an Oral Maxillo Facial Surgeon, many of whom also have an
    MD in addition to their DDS.
    New B., Apr 16, 2009
  8. Richard

    Steven Fawks Guest

    Point well taken.

    Steven Fawks, Apr 18, 2009
  9. Richard


    Nov 24, 2009
    Likes Received:
    this might be dumb

    Richard: have had any post and crowns or root canal. I ask because, I did, lots of them mine started on one over tooth#3(molar). every other month I would take a antibiotic (z-pak)they would go away. sometime when they didn't hurt,I'd rip them off. so they are back. now mine you my teeth have been finish,( finally,3 yr. later) I just went back cuz the other side ended up something like yours,I can't breath to well.(#14,under my right sinus) one of the only 2 live teeth that were crowned,the root became seriously infected. I'm calling again for az-pak cause I don't have $700 for a root canal.its been 11 mo. I have real bad gum and health problems,due to lack of drive to have go back to that chair(I signed the back of it,cuz I just about lived in it.) go now get help. anything that messes with your mouth is so serious you could become very ill, I am.( I'm a caregiver for my dad and can't really go anywhere) I'm finally going to my M.D. in 2hr, don't ignore it like me. I'm really sick. so I have to go to my M.D. or go to the ER. Sorry I rambled, I'm so terrified. I wish you al the luck in the world. I gotta go I'm getting sick again. keep your head up,and stay positive.
    tessyj61, Nov 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.