Hard Bump on Gum

I had a tooth extraction on tooth #2 in the middle of October. Now I have a pea sized bony bump above the extraction site. It hurts only when I press on it. It looks normal color like the rest of my gums. Can’t go to dentist till Tuesday. Almost two months and the bump doesn’t seem to be going away. Any idea what this could be? Tooth #3 has had a root canal done on it twice and feels weird when I tap on it. Been that way for a few years though and the bump didn’t appear until #2 was pulled. Wisdom teeth are also gone. No sign of throbbing pain or pus or discolor. Just a very tender bony feeling bump. Any ideas?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No idea. If it looks normal colour it may simply be bony protrusion that can take months to remodel.

Vote:
That’s what my dentist had thought when I called in. I did not know a bony protrusion could be so tender though. Also, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Last edited:

Vote:
42CCEE41-0D3A-41B8-8683-B7E2553FA7F5.jpeg

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If it is hurting so much that it is affecting the way you function in that area, you may consider having your dentist remove or smooth the bony protrusion. We generally allow time for it to heal like Dr. MattKW mentioned. We generally have to manipulate bone while extracting teeth so sometimes bone remodels a certain way.

Vote:

Ask a Question