Hard bones/bumps on maxilla (unilateral) -really worried

Solutions
Hello,

Wondering if I could get some advice about a gum/tooth issue I'm really worried about.

I had a filling put in a pre-molar on the upper, right hand side of my mouth about two years ago. The filling is a composite filling and I was told at the time it was a really deep one. It took ages to settle and went back several times to have it adjusted due to sensitivity etc. Even after that it hurt to chew hard food on.

A couple of weeks ago I had horrendous pain around that general area. I thought I had a sinus infection as using decongestants etc seemed to rectify it and my entire cheek near my nose hurt. The sinus pain/tooth pain went away after a couple of days. I was going to call the dentist but after the pain went I didn't class myself as an emergency, and it's very difficult to get an appointment at the moment because of the Corona virus.

After the sinus trouble I now have no pain in that tooth when I chew food anymore, however there is pressure around the very top of my mouth (where the gum meets the upper lip). As I've been worried I had a feel around and noticed that the right hand side feels completely different to the other side. Basically it feels more lumpy and bony above that tooth which isn't present on the other side. They mostly don't hurt but one bony lump is quite tender when I press hard on it (kind of like pressure going down into the filled tooth). It kind of feels like part of my bone but find it strange I can't feel this on the other side? I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so worry about things like tumours :(

I'm just wondering, is is normal to be able to feel the tops of teeth on one side but not the other? Could it be something to do with the filled tooth? Or the sinus infection? I've tried to attach a picture but where it is it's incredibly difficult to get a decent one, and there isn't actually anything visible really.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_224052__01.jpg
    IMG_20200902_224052__01.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 120

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It is very difficult to see anything on the attached photo.
If the filling was indeed a deep filling, it is possible that the nerve was chronically irritated, leading to pulpitis. If the pulpitis became irreversible, it is also possible that the nerve died.
Without any form of x-ray it is unfortunately impossible to give more information.
There could have been an abscess that drained, and in some cases, abscesses can actually turn into a cyst, especially on a non-vital tooth, and this then feels hard and round when touching it.
But for this diagnoses, a x-ray would be required.
My advice would be to go and see a dentist as soon as possible, to have an x-ray taken and have the tooth's vitality tested.

Vote:
Solutions
Good day

It is very difficult to see anything on the attached photo.
If the filling was indeed a deep filling, it is possible that the nerve was chronically irritated, leading to pulpitis. If the pulpitis became irreversible, it is also possible that the nerve died.
Without any form of x-ray it is unfortunately impossible to give more information.
There could have been an abscess that drained, and in some cases, abscesses can actually turn into a cyst, especially on a non-vital tooth, and this then feels hard and round when touching it.
But for this diagnoses, a x-ray would be required.
My advice would be to go and see a dentist as soon as possible, to have an x-ray taken and have the tooth's vitality tested.

Thanks so much for the reply! I will try and get an appointment at my dentist as soon as I can :)

I have had X rays on the tooth previously but all looked fine, but could have changed since then I guess!

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

Vote:

Ask a Question