Gums swell during night

Over many years I lost the five leftmost teeth on my upper jaw and similar on the right apart from one molar that has a metal crown. Over time little some little hard lumps came up on the gaps then mainly on the chewing edge on the left side but now also high up on the outer part of the gum. I can’t remember the name given to the condition but was told some years ago when they were smaller it was not a concern. Over the past year or two they have got bigger and swell/increase in size overnight and used to decrease again as the day went on but now less so. I am aware of them but they are not exactly painful and my face does not show any swelling. I rub Gengigel or Bonjela on them and also rinse in salt water which seems not to do much. I had an upper denture in the late 1970’s but abandoned it as it made me lisp and food got behind it moving it when eating despite alterations.

Can anyone suggest the cause of the overnight swelling

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't understand when you said you had an upper denture and you still have a molar? Without x-rays, I'm guessing the molar is necrotic and infected.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Can you perhaps attach a photo of the affected area? Difficult to give an opinion with limited info.

Vote:
Yes but they don't give them to the patient to take away. That area has not been X-Rayed as the lumps and swelling have worsened since I was last there two years ago...........Dentists are not my favourite people, I cancelled three appointments over that time due to hypertension and A. Fib problems on the day. Have an appointment for next week.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Without a photo of the area or more information, we won't be able to give you an idea if what the problem is. Go see your dentist, and hopefully he can help you.

Vote:

Ask a Question