Gum recession and loose bottom teeth

My bottom front teeth have some pretty bad gum recession, and now I've been feeling an achy feeling in that area for the past couple days. Yesterday, I grabbed one of them with my fingers and pushed on them to see if they were still anchored tightly to my gums, and was alarmed when I was actually able to move them! I won't be doing that again!

Now for a bit of background. I had braces on my teeth from when I was 34 to 36. I'm now 47. For the past few years, I've been noticing gum recession all over my mouth. I've been brushing as instructed by my hygienist. I use Aim toothpaste, I floss at night and use a fluoride rinse before bed. I also use a Proxabrush before brushing in the morning.

The reason I mentioned the braces is because I've heard that adults having braces can lead to gum recession later on. I imagine that might be my case.

I don't want to start losing teeth, but am afraid that's exactly what's about to happen. I can't seem to stop the gum recession and now I've got teeth starting to loosen up. I'm sure I could go back to my hygienist who is 30 miles away and ask her, but she just saw me for a cleaning about a month ago. Any advice anyone can offer here?

I am not sure but gum recession might be treated with surgery. I read somewhere that they will just take skin from somewhere else and put it on the receded gum to cover the tooth, I am not sure if that will improve the looseness of the teeth but it should improve sensitivity of the teeth.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately, there are so many reasons for gum recession. Most likely your bite has changed and or your teeth are shifting. Usually recession in absence of periodontal disease is caused by some kind of trauma (braces), and or hyper-eruption, Have your dentist find the source(s) of the recession and discuss with you options to manage or treat it.

Vote:
I am not sure but gum recession might be treated with surgery. I read somewhere that they will just take skin from somewhere else and put it on the receded gum to cover the tooth, I am not sure if that will improve the looseness of the teeth but it should improve sensitivity of the teeth.

I've heard of that, but my gum recession is all over my entire mouth. Right now, the worst of it is on the bottom front teeth, and that's where it looks like it's going to start resulting in tooth loss soon. I'm hoping to find a solution before I end up losing any/all of them.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question