Gum pain in fully erupted wisdom tooth

Hi there,

I am 31, and my wisdom teeth have been fully erupted for about 8-10 years now. I never had any problems with them as they came out, and while they're not perfectly in line with the other teeth, they're not pointing out at weird angles or anything.

Yesterday I noticed a dull ache in the gum above my back-right wisdom tooth. The gum itself is tender, but only directly above that tooth. The tissue itself doesn't feel swollen compared with the gum on the other side, but it does feel like there's a 'pressure' in there (to the nerves in my gum, not the nerves in my fingers, if you see what I mean). Poking it has led to an increase in pain.

I brush my teeth twice daily, and floss (though perhaps I missed something right at the back...? It's hard to get all the way back there), and though I have slightly receding gums in my front-middle molars, I've never had trouble with the two back teeth on either side of my mouth. I recently switched to an electric toothbrush to help avoid further gum recession.

Pericoronitis has come up in some web searches but that seems to affect partially erupted teeth. Does anyone have any ideas?

Slightly complicating this is the fact that I just arrived in the US for three weeks and don't have insurance that would cover dental bills, so I'm reticent to shell out for a dentist if other ideas could prove useful early on. Alternatively, if there's any way to get free dental care (or if I can just wait it out till I return to my own country) I'd love to hear it. Thank you!

EDIT: Pushing the tooth doesn't result in any pain at all - just the gum. So is this probably just a gum infection?

You may have gotten some food stuck under your tissue that is irritating the area. (Example: popcorn kernel) If your pain continues you should at least have an x-ray and exam. Wisdom teeth can be very hard to clean so you may have decay in an area that you cannot see when you look in the mirror, but it should show up on a x-ray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:
Thanks! I think it might actually be a mouth ulcer on the outside of my gum, where it connects to my cheek tissue - I'm going to wait a bit longer and see how I go.

Vote:

Ask a Question