Gum inflammation abroad

Hello people,

I have a history of receding gums and inflammations. I have it mainly on the teeth, so now also the ignition especially there. I am from The Netherlands.

A week or two ago I had a clear gum inflammation in which there was even spontaneous blood from the gums of 1 tooth. The rest of my gum was also inflamed. I am traveling in the coming months and when this happened I was in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I went to a dentist there and the practice looked very old and dirty. The doctor's coat also had stains. In short, it looked unreliable and it was a bad experience.

He said that I indeed had an inflammation and prescribed Peroxide gel for me (30 ml / 32g, 0.2%). He did not clean anything or anything like that. I have used this drug for a week and it looks like it is not gone.

My question to you is whether you can see from the pictures below whether the inflammation is already gone? The first picture is in the morning before brushing and the second picture is after brushing. If there is still an inflammation, should I go to another (better) dentist abroad to clean it or something similar? Or can I treat it better and if so, how? With saltwater rinsing it looks like the gums are becoming whiter. Maybe I put too much salt in it (1.5 tsp salt for 1 sip of water).

I now brush my teeth at least twice a day and I have been using an interdental brush since months ago to clean between the teeth. Furthermore, I always have a white tongue, even though I always my tongue with the my electric toothbrush. Perhaps it is because I regularly sleep with my mouth open.

Thank you in advance!

in the morning before brushing
20181106-103419.jpg

Just after brushing:
20181106-112410.jpg

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
In general, inflammed gums look bright to dark red and swollen looking. In between teeth papilla for inflammed gums will appear loose. Your gums look light pink and tight. I noticed some abfraction damage from possible grinding/traumatic biting. Many times stress could induce grinding/clenching especially during extensive travel.

The only way to diagnose gum disease is to take x-rays to evaluate bone levels and perio probe to check for attachment loss. I don't recommend peroxide. It has the potential to irritate and cause mucosal damage. If your attachment loss is ~5 mm and greater, consider 0.12% Chorhexidine rinse for 2 to 4 weeks. Prolonged use can discolor you teeth. Be careful not to brush too hard. You will know if your soft bristles are flattening after use. You can cause permanent gum & teeth damage.

Vote:

Ask a Question