Gum infection between teeth?

Excuse my lack of Dental knowledge but I have a question regarding a stubborn gum infection between my two back molars.
I had root canal on the second from the back tooth years ago but I think there has been some ongoing low level infection occurring between that molar and the rear molar (top). I've recently began root canal on the back molar but it seems that this infection between my teeth (deep in the gum) hasn't quiet healed. I have a good dentist who has agreed that getting that gum infection to heal first, before continuing with the root canal, would be a good idea. I have suffered some bone loss on the bone separating the teeth. All holes have been filled in that area, but the gum infection persists.

There's no pain when I run my fingers along the outside of the gum, nor is there any visible issue. I know it's ongoing though because when I stick a periodontal pick between those two back teeth I always get blood on the tip of it, and below the surface it's sensitive to the pick. I also get a slight feeling of very mild sensitivity when I tap the back tooth only. If I'm not on top of cleaning out the area with a periodontal pick regularly I get more blood than usual and the infection seems to persist. It seems to be a very stubborn infection in there and I don't want to lose my back teeth because of it. There is no ongoing pain until I prod it with the periodontal pick. No bite pain, no lateral pain on the tooth. Just the infection when I stick the pick in there.

I've been using mouthwash, warm salt bathing, various essential oils like oregano, calendula, clove (all diluted of course) to try to kill the infection but I'm only seeing mild improvement. I don't have any other issues with my gums or teeth besides this.

I have a good dentist, and he has pointed out that this could just take a long time to heal, but I'm wondering if it will heal given that it's probably been there for so long. There doesn't seem to be anything outside what I've talked about on the x-ray. Antibiotics have only had a mild affect on healing it.

Can anyone suggest what could be going on and if there's anything else I could try to heal it. Maybe there's something I could suggest to my dentist that we're missing. Months of cleaning have only seen mild improvements.

Thanks so much!

A gum infection between teeth, also known as interproximal gingivitis, is an inflammation of the gum tissue that occurs between the teeth. This type of infection is typically caused by plaque buildup in these areas, which can lead to the formation of bacterial colonies. Symptoms of interproximal gingivitis include red, swollen, and tender gums, bleeding while brushing or flossing, and bad breath.

Treatment for interproximal gingivitis typically involves a thorough cleaning of the teeth and gums by a dentist or dental hygienist, as well as improved oral hygiene habits, such as daily brushing and flossing. In some cases, the dentist may recommend using an interproximal brush or other specialized tools to clean between the teeth. In more severe cases, a periodontist may be consulted for additional treatment options.

Vote:

Ask a Question