Gum higher on one tooth

3670076B-49ED-41FD-A511-A175AC76051D.jpeg

I noticed that one of my molars (second to last molar) had the gum higher than the other and is more sensitive to the cold. I brush twice a day and floss once a day with mouthwash twice a day as well. I am very worried and I am not sure if I brushed the area too hard or injured it before.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You have gum recession that is permanent (the gums can't grow back). You may be brushing too hard. The best you can do is not to scrub to hard and to minimize further trauma there. For sensitivity, you can try Sensodyne toothpaste, MI Paste, and or 5000 ppm prescription Fluoride toothpaste. I would avoid whitening toothpastes since they can be more abrasive and cause further trauma.

Vote:
You have gum recession that is permanent (the gums can't grow back). You may be brushing too hard. The best you can do is not to scrub to hard and to minimize further trauma there. For sensitivity, you can try Sensodyne toothpaste, MI Paste, and or 5000 ppm prescription Fluoride toothpaste. I would avoid whitening toothpastes since they can be more abrasive and cause further trauma.
Thank you for the reply. I will stop using my whitening toothpaste and switch and try to brush lighter. Do you think the other teeth are also receded, as I am not sensitive on those. Do you think the recession was caused by brushing or could it have been some other trauma to that area such as from eating?(I am just curious so I can prevent my other teeth getting injured).

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Anything is possible. In my opinion, brushing incorrectly and traumatically can potentially cause gum trauma and recession. I'm not seeing recession on the other teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question