Gum Graft Surgery

Solutions
Hello everyone,

It is now day nine since I had my gum graft surgery. Alloderm was used and stitched onto the gum around about seven teeth on my lower jaw . My concern , that has brought me here , is that the gum is not attached to my teeth . Will it attach with more time ? If it stays like this then bacteria will collect inside the pocket between the gums and teeth. That would be worse than it was before because my gums were attached to my teeth and there was no pocket. I hope you can understand what I am saying ? The gums are flush with my teeth but can pull away because it is not attached.

Solutions
Go back to your surgeon. The graft should be attached and have full blood supply nourishing it.

The graft is attached to my gum and it does have a full blood supply. The issue is that I don't see it attached to my bone (teeth) . The surgeon saw me just two days ago when he removed my stitches.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm thinking you had a connective tissue graft or a free gingival graft. It does not cover your teeth. When you have severe gum recession, you have inadequate keratinized tissue (attached stronger tissue) next to movable mucosal tissue (not as sturdy). The graft is to reinforce the inadequate attached tissue. Unfortunately the graft will never cover the teeth.

Vote:
Solutions
I'm thinking you had a connective tissue graft or a free gingival graft. It does not cover your teeth. When you have severe gum recession, you have inadequate keratinized tissue (attached stronger tissue) next to movable mucosal tissue (not as sturdy). The graft is to reinforce the inadequate attached tissue. Unfortunately the graft will never cover the teeth.

Okay, but won't bacteria collect and multiply between the teeth and the " movable mucosal tissue " ? I am surprised that there isn't a glue that they could use, to attach it to the teeth, to prevent bacteria from collecting in the pocket ?

Vote:

Ask a Question