Gum disease

Hello my name is nick and im 32 , I went to the dentist yesterday and I have gum disease aka periodontis , its pretty obvious , my gum lines are low and one part my gum line is hanging off. My question is this , my insurance pays for the deep cleaning does that work and can my gums heal or should I go with the laser which I have to pay for for out of pocket, does the laser treatment work alot better? Pain and discomfort of the procedure does not matter i am willing to do whatever it takes to stop this and save my teeth, im freaked out someone please help me

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Gum disease unfortunately can be a life-long problem (until you lose your teeth). No treatment will work if you neglect your gums. I would go for the deep cleaning and get it re-evaluated after 6 -8 weeks with new probe readings. If the readings continue to be 5 mm or greater, then consider laser options.

Vote:
Solutions
When we use lasers, they will not irritate the patient's gums, so there will not be any significant swelling as a result of the procedure. This means that the gums will look far healthier after the appointment than with a traditional deep dental cleaning. I hope it helps.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
When we use lasers, they will not irritate the patient's gums, so there will not be any significant swelling as a result of the procedure. This means that the gums will look far healthier after the appointment than with a traditional deep dental cleaning. I hope it helps.

Lasers are not a substitute for deep cleanings. All the tartar (calculus) and debris must be removed in order for gum attachments to heal. If the gums are not healing well after deep cleanings in 6 to 8 weeks, then lasers can be beneficial to promote gum reattachments.

Vote:

Ask a Question